Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie wrote up a real cool article about EC that starts this Saturday. Race begins at 7am above the high tide mark. If you're in the area come check it out. 100 vessels launching from the beach at once is some of the best free entertainment one can find.

Check out Hobie's article on the event below...

http://www.hobiecat.com/blog/journey-me ... unter,762/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice writeup. Good luck. Have fun.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, that looks like so much fun! Get 'em, killer!
And I saw that we can follow you in real time. Cool! I bookmarked you.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wanna do that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll be waving to u Clamcounter when you pass Cayo Costa! Good Luck! Winds and weather Look great Sat and Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wanderoo - Coasta Cayo is a beautiful area. With any luck we're hoping to be passing by Cabbage Key on our way towards The Sanibel bridge in the evening Saturday. It's always tempting to pull into the Tarpon Lodge as we cruise by.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here she is. Key Largo or Bust! Going for a 5th finish.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My friend Ted and I will try it next year. Happy sailing!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Its a long way from Tasmania but it looks like incredible fun! And the best boat for it.. a hobie getaway!
Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a link to the final race report with pictures. Can't wait for next year.

http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/coas ... nge-update

Everglades Challenge Launch 2017 - Coastie & ClamCounter

With jib furled, and mainsheet reefed, we launched from the beach. Behind us was an entourage of support: spouses, grandparents, uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews and friends. Ahead of us was a 300 mile planned excursion to the Florida Keys. The combination of strong northeast winds at our backs and protected calm waters along the coast make conditions perfect for us. For an organized event, including over a 100 other vessels crossing Tampa Bay’s major shipping channel in a “Small Craft Advisory” may not be perfect for all. An hour before our scheduled launch, event options were given to the skippers - - we may be able launch our vessel from the beach the following day if the Advisory was lifted. However, we would not be able to launch from the beach that day. With NOAA’s forecasted strong winds for the next few days we had to make the best decision for our boat, withdraw from the event and advantage of the current NE winds before the following day’s less ideal East winds arrived along our southeast course. …. Ohh mother nature.

Our adventure to the keys continued (unofficially), as we crossed Tampa Bay we could see the super lite stud Hobie 16 sailors were closing in FAST. We rounded, Anna Maria Island within a stone’s throw of beach goer’s now wearing the face of shock and awe as small boats loaded with expedition gear and way too much sun block barreled south. The 60 mile leg to Stump’s Pass in Englewood was flat and speedy, we arrived at the channel at 1pm beating our previous years’ time by over 2 hours.

Near Anna Maria Island:

We sailed onward another 20 miles to Redfish Pass in Captiva Island where we found the South Sea Resort marina arriving at 5pm. The marina offered towel service and hot showers (not exactly roughing-it at this point.)

South Seas Resort Marina:

Total miles sailed for day #1: 78

In the morning, the forecast 20-30mph East winds had arrived. We elected to take the offshore/coastal route seeking another speedy protected day along the coast rather than tack through the marked channels to the Sanibel Bridge. The morning’s steady sailing along Sanibel’s coast was a great opportunity to make use of our new cushiony Captain Chair with arm rests we were testing out this voyage (who said these trips couldn’t be comfortable?) We knew the Southern tip of Sanibel Island would leave us in open water 10 miles offshore in less the less than ideal conditions with building waves. From there, we had the option of sailing on a straight course in open water 40 miles south which was put us on land again at Marco Island or tack several miles out of our way to Fort Meyers and continue our protected sail from there along the coast. We decided to tack to the protected coast. Before we could make it to Fort Myers, the East winds delivered the beating we knew we would get. Our first tack to Fort Myers led us into the brunt of 5 foot breakers over the bow. There was no more lounging in the cushy Captain’s chair in these conditions. After a few hours of assault there was a loud pop -- a large breaker ripped off the bungee cords that secured our Captain’s chair. Needless to say, the chair has been added to Davey Jones’ Locker. It was a good chair L. By 3pm we were all surfed out and had made our way along the coast to Estero. While underway, we made a quick google search for an adjacent hotel and found a reservation at the beachside Wyndam Gardens. Again, we landed on amongst beach go’ers now donning the look of shock and awe as we came ashore. At this point we were also sporting the quazi burnt/salty-caked up sunblock look as we made our approach for the hotel’s front desk to check-in. As we unloaded our bags from the boat, we watched as SewSew screamed by the coast in his formula one wing sail, then another Water Triber vessel arrived at the hotel by water (it was Nomadic and Roamer), small world!

Nomad and Roamer off Estero:

Total miles sailed for day #2: 20

Beginning the third day of our adventure the weather forecast showed more high winds but allowed a small window in the morning for us to make a speedy crossing to Marco Island. From there we decided to enter the 10,000 Islands in the Everglades National Park via Caxambas Pass to avoid open water off of Cape Romano. The pass had a lot of manatees, sea turtles and dolphins as we tacked through to Gullivan’s Bay. On the other side of the pass we continued along the 10,000 island and dipped behind Indian Key to hop out and stretch out legs before sunset. Soon after we shoved off from Indian Key, there was another loud pop. This time a clevis pen to one of our two bridle wires holding the mast up had failed. While the other bridle wire was still holding the mast upright, we ran back to shore added a spare clevis pen then rigged an extra spectra line secured with a bowlin around our forestay and front cross bar. ….Back on the road again, we’re about as fast as a nascar pit crew at making repairs underway. Still feeling pretty good, and seeing the overnight conditions called for favorable winds we decided to continue sailing south along the Everglades. At midnight we arrived at Shark’s river then continued under moonlight in about 2 knots of wind on a run for Cape Sable. We were almost to the Keys!!!!! After scanning the beach at Cape Sable with our Q-beams searching for rogue alligators we decided to hop ashore and stretch our legs again. As soon as we landed we were covered with mosquitoes, even our sails were covered in mosquitos. (It was about 5 am at this point.) Luckily we had no-seeum head nets and dry suits on, so we didn’t make any blood donations to the Everglades, this time. They still gave us the hee-bee gee-bees so we got the heck out of there and continued south. We took the offshore route across Florida bay, then made our way through a small short cut at Arsenicker Key and made our final tack to the finish line at Key Largo (but not before getting passed by Sew-Sew the sailing rocket again!) After being on the water for 36 hours straight, we had sailed over 110 miles from Fort Myers to Key Largo. We arrived at the finish line during a picture perfect sunset Tuesday afternoon. What a great run!

Arriving at the finish:

Inspection day:

Crossing Tampa Bay:

POSTED 34 MINUTES AGO # EDIT QUOTE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Not sure I'd be brave enough to be out in the conditions you had on day two heading for Fort Myers. Especially in open water with wind blowing offshore. I've only been out once in conditions I should not have even attempted. Solo, 30-35mph wind, headed out on a wide reach from the launch and had to luff the main (no reefing points) to keep from going over. I never would have been able to right the boat and would have been screwed. Got about a mile and half out and decided it was too much. Had a hell of a time tacking back around and tried to sail with jib only but that wasn't working out too well. Then started up the outboard to fight the white caps heading back maybe 30 degrees into the wind. Motor was taking a lot of splashing and started to sputter as I was getting water in the tank but managed to keep it going (weakly). The main halyard, somewhere along the way, had come uncleated and I lost it over the pulley at the top of the mast. So if that motor died on me, I wasn't getting the mainsail back up either. It was all I could do to keep the bows down going over those waves worried that the wind would catch my forward tramp (it's aftermarket and closed mesh design like the main tramp) and flip the boat over backwards. :shock: Next forward tramp will be the Hobie open net design, won't make that mistake again. Took me at least an hour and half to make it back to the launch. Very scary day. Even with a crew, I won't go out in those conditions ever again. Don't know what I was thinking that day.

But hey, I survived and have a story to tell now. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KeithB - i've learned the most about the boat from those expereiences you encountered. Big waves and to the front tramp are not the Getaways best friends but it handles way better than a monohaul that would simply fill the with water and have to be bailed out. The hobie front tramp is great if I ever tried to customize it I would go with a bigger mesh so it could continue its lift on top of waves and stay on plane. The Getways prooved, yet again to be a much better vessel than a many others that did not make it through that voyage.

By the way - I think your motor mount idea at this point could be the best method to attach two hobie mirage drives off he back of the getaway. ... it may be on my upcomimg projects list.

Happy you enjoyed the read! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was down the beach from you at the start. I was next to SOS and the other Hobie 16 that launched.
I was in my TI. My shore support and car was already dropped off at Chkpt 1 since I was just doing the first leg.
When I heard the FREEDOMMMMMM!!!!!!!! cry I really expected to see more boats drag into the water and was so tempted to follow you.
We all watched your mast carefully as you hit the shipping channel. I'm glad that you guys had a good crossing and were able to make the best of the situation.
Paul Links
Aero70

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KeithB wrote:
I've only been out once in conditions I should not have even attempted. Solo, 30-35mph wind, headed out on a wide reach from the launch and had to luff the main (no reefing points) to keep from going over. I never would have been able to right the boat and would have been screwed. Got about a mile and half out and decided it was too much. ... Took me at least an hour and half to make it back to the launch. Very scary day. Even with a crew, I won't go out in those conditions ever again. Don't know what I was thinking that day.

But hey, I survived and have a story to tell now. :roll:

Learning experiences are best told over a brew in the company of fellow sailors. "Don't know what I was thinking..." yah, gotta agree with that since it was blowin' in the 30s (I'm surprised you could get the mainsail hoisted). Do you check the wind forecast before going out? I always check "WindAlert" windalert.com even the free forecast is good enough to tell when it will be too much. If you haven't tried it, it is a reasonably ubiquitous and accurate forecast.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

do you have details on mainsail reefing system? head of sail in plastic track of comp tip
when reefed or did you replace plastic sail track with aluminum? Downhaul? do you use
catch at top of mast? thanks doug