Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While I've been pleased with my Getaway with the symspin. I've since tried out a Windseeker this past winter that is masthead but tacked to the front bowspreader. During the course of these trials, I've discovered that the bowspreader is actually much more robust than I first expected (seems about 1/8" wall thickness having drilled through it). Given that sturdiness, I think an asymspin will work fine tacked to it amidships-after all, it supports the load lifting the mast using the stepper II.

SO, I will be building an asymspin to be tacked at the front bowspreader and sheeted from the back crossbeam and the head will be just above the jib head on the same hound (my jib/shroud hound has a hole on the top to which I've mounted a swivel and block).

I've purchased two 55mm Ronstan ratchet blocks to help handle the load (the 55 mm Ronstan regular blocks are difficult to deal with in even a light breeze with the windseeker).

Anyway, just futzin' around, I'll keep you posted. I think the H16 spin kit repurposed for a Getaway is simply too complicated. We have a bowspreader; seems a shame to waste it. Granted, I will have to gybe outside, but seriously, that is much easier without a sprit anyway.

Just so you turn green with envy, my asymspin mod will cost $75 for the cost of materials for the spinnaker; $140 for the 2 ratchet blocks; $50 each for halyard and sheet; $90 for the hound swivel (which I already had); and I made my own snuffer for under $50. Playing with your boat is cheap.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've removed the windseeker since normal winds from now on will be robust until November. I've installed the new asymspin. I'll post a video when I use it for the first time. The windseeker and the asymspin have approximately same amount of area. windseeker is 23' luff (masthead); 10' foot; and 20' leach--no luff or leach round--considering foot round it comes in at 102 sq ft. Asymspin is 18' luff (halyard swivel is just above the jib on the same hound); 12' foot; and 16' leach; has a bunch of luff round; some foot round but straight leach--comes in around 105 sq ft.

They will sail differently...the windseeker (as you saw in the videos) twisted off really nice so the drive was mostly forward); the asymspin with the fuller cut won't twist off but can (and will) be driven deeper; it will provide about the same amount of heeling force given it's head is lower on the mast (and be easier on the mast--I am leery of how robust that comptip is).

We'll see how it works out. I may even be able to gybe inside. I did move the snuffer over to one side again...it was just too crowded under the jib bridle and the two halyards were causing wraps.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I finally flew the new asymspin tacked to the spreader bar. Flew nice in light wind. The purple and gray turned out nice. Here's 1 minute of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp3VBtV_rW8

I"d embed it but embedding doesn't seem to work anymore.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice! So much simpler than the bowsprit and snuffer system.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's what I figured too. I still snuff it, but there are a LOT fewer things to set up or take down. The spin is only a 100 sq ft or so; but that should be plenty for my normal summer winds.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailed again today with the asymspin. I can tell now that it is going to be a handful when the wind picks up. Today's breeze only got to 8-10 and it tugged on my hands with some authority in the gusts. I rerigged while out there to gybe inside and it worked pretty well as long as I don't let the lazy sheet fall down onto the jib furler. I did record some video that I'll edit and post to you tube and provide a link when it's done. I may have made my corner patches too big since snuffing is still not trouble free. I may make another snuffer since I have the slightly larger hoop ready already. Truthfully, I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward to the normal bigger winds here (15-25 most of June through August) or dreading them. Let's just say this, the symspin is safer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lHM5UjgJcc

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

where are you anchoring the sheet for the spi? I tried to see on your video but couldn't see it.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spliced some high tech line around the rear post on the wing. Then attached the block to that line. Simple and effective. It can (and does) slide up the pole in bigger breeze-but that's OK since it allows the spin head to twist off some.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This will probably be my last post on the Hobie forum. I sold the Hobie Getaway to make room for a new trimaran--I guess I'm more a tri-guy than a cat-man. I took the new owners out for a short sail and we played with the new asymspin in 10-12 kt breeze; I was surprised to see the speeds get close to 11 under spin. So the sail works well on this platform.

https://youtu.be/w1WnOryirzM

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
This will probably be my last post on the Hobie forum. I sold the Hobie Getaway to make room for a new trimaran--I guess I'm more a tri-guy than a cat-man. I took the new owners out for a short sail and we played with the new asymspin in 10-12 kt breeze; I was surprised to see the speeds get close to 11 under spin. So the sail works well on this platform.

https://youtu.be/w1WnOryirzM

Aw, man! I always enjoy your posts, especially the technical and sailmaking stuff that teaches me things. Enjoy your tri, and come visit once in a while.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dorienc wrote:
Aw, man! I always enjoy your posts, especially the technical and sailmaking stuff that teaches me things. Enjoy your tri, and come visit once in a while.

Well said -- Thom, we'll miss you. Do stop in once in a while, and when I drag my boat down to the bay area, I'll keep a look-out for speedy smaller tri-s... if you're hauling proper azz, one of the tri amas will be flying, and you'll be sailing a cat. :p

I love the variety and DIY you brought to the discussions. I also appreciate the One Design sensibility, but there's good, meaty discussions to be had between these spaces.

All the best,

Randii