Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I leave my cat rigged all the time. So much easier. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure I would get a spinnaker without a bow sprint and snuffer. At that point your sacrificing a lot of performance for ease. [/quote]

There probably won't be much performance difference. Spins work by size--the sprit (and it is sprit not sprint) spin sheets to the chainplate, right? The bowspreader spin (140 sq ft) sheets to the rear crossbeam...so foot length is similar. You do have a longer luff since you put a hound up near the top of the mast--a situation I wanted to avoid since it seemed to me reading the blog here that many who fitted the hobie 16 kit to the Getaway later had comp tip issues--might be coincidental; but ya gotta figure a comptip mast with no spreaders with a hound near the top is putting a lot of stress on the comptip joint where it meets the aluminum (on the 16, the new hound is lower down from the top, so less stress). For me, I didn't need bigger sail since I have bigger wind and would just have to dump power anyway. Related to the snuffer, the one I made is at least as reliable as the hobie snuffer.

Anyway, if you are experienced or adventurous, there are alternatives than "store bought" systems. If you really want a sprit-you can buy the materials for $100 from online metals. I happen to be both experienced and adventurous and like to share my expertise with those with less experience or smaller cojones :wink: .

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The added stress to the comptip is a good point. Is there a way to add strength? I want to eventually add a spin kit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

At some point, I'm going to add a running backstay that will only be deployed when the chute is flying.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RobDek wrote:
At some point, I'm going to add a running backstay that will only be deployed when the chute is flying.

A backstay attached to the jib hound might be useful. The issue to the mast with the hobie 16 kit (if there is one) is about mast flexibility IMO. The mast is designed to be a wiggle worm (which is a good thing for the normal sail suite-helps depower automatically, yadda yadda. However, you've seen photos of the hobie 16 mast under spin, it turns into a big "C" bent to leeward-- the Getaway mast will do the same, but because the hound is closer to the top, the "C" may be more bent at the join between aluminum and comp. With a stay attached to the jib hound, you might be able to flatten the C.

With your new boat, though, I shouldn't worry overmuch since any failure will be obvious while under warranty. For others, you can still be safe with the Hobie 16 kit if you avoid deploying in really big breeze. If you worry, you can move your hound further down the mast and get a shorter spin luff.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rob,

Lets get some pics of that new boat out on the water, with some stats, hopefully you can break the existing terminal velocity of the Getaway. I would really consider upgrading to a 2017 if I had some solid Intel on performance increases.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Finally rigged and ready to rock & roll.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want to see some video of this think sailing!!!

I would love to upgrade from my 2006 but need more money!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

does it still come with wings?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wings are an available option.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So after purchasing a newly designed getaway what are your thoughts on the new design? Faster? Better? What are the reverse bows like? Would love to see a video of one in some decent wind.. And i think im starting to warm to the new colour scheme too.....
Tasmania's only getaway sailor