Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

randii wrote:
Technique is key, second only to a well-sealed mast. Work with someone who knows how to right their cat and practice with them... then practice on your cat. Once you have righted the boat, each time you do it after will add to experience and you'll 'feel' what works better... and you'll 'feel' what works less well. Practice with a buddy first and get that wired and you'll be better positioned to do it solo. Set yourself up for success.

There are some fine points that are difficult to share on a forum -- how far you lean away from the boat, if you're using a water bag how high you hoist it, how you get it behind your shoulder, how you balance the hulls bow to stern...

Having a harness or butt-bucket makes it much easier than trying to do it with your hands/grip.

This is a simple physics puzzle, to get enough weight far enough away from the center of gravity to turn the boat (you're fighting the boat weight and water weight against how you leverage your body weight, possibly a water bag)... but there are so, so many variables, and each affects the other.

Figuring this out solo on the water isn't setting yourself up for success unless you weigh 200 pounds are sailing a Hobie 14.

Randii

deleted comment sorry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OldChuck wrote:
Have not be around for a while.
Looking for a system to right a boat by myself so this topic is of great interest to me.
Considering getting a Getaway but at 140 lbs. and older and will be sailing mostly by myself. I know there is no way that I could right the boat without some heavy duty help. Concerned that the BAG does not work for some lighter guys and looking at all other options. I have seen the pole or board work well on the 16 and 18 but they do not have the front tramp and the 18 has a board slot that a pole would work well with.
I like the idea of wings and comfort plus the easy set-up offered by the Getaway. This boat will be at a permanent location on floats so setting up will just be putting on sails and going. Maybe there is a better boat out there but the Getaway seems to be a great all around small boat.

Any information or suggestions will be appreciated..

Hi, I am around the 60yr mark and around 85kg. Sometimes I can right the boat solo, but that's why i made the pole for the GETAWAY. It's very easy to use once you get the hang of it. It's always on the boat.. 'Just in case' cheers Jez
https://youtu.be/eHvCGd8DkD0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PS: I have a righting pole which works very well (vid in earlier post), but i did find that swimming the boat around so mast and hulls at 45 deg did work well for solo righting when wind is above average. I forgot my righting pole one day and went for a tumble in around 16knots. I am 85kg