Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

randii wrote:
Technique is key, second only to a well-sealed mast. Work with someone who knows how to right their cat and practice with them... then practice on your cat. Once you have righted the boat, each time you do it after will add to experience and you'll 'feel' what works better... and you'll 'feel' what works less well. Practice with a buddy first and get that wired and you'll be better positioned to do it solo. Set yourself up for success.

There are some fine points that are difficult to share on a forum -- how far you lean away from the boat, if you're using a water bag how high you hoist it, how you get it behind your shoulder, how you balance the hulls bow to stern...

Having a harness or butt-bucket makes it much easier than trying to do it with your hands/grip.

This is a simple physics puzzle, to get enough weight far enough away from the center of gravity to turn the boat (you're fighting the boat weight and water weight against how you leverage your body weight, possibly a water bag)... but there are so, so many variables, and each affects the other.

Figuring this out solo on the water isn't setting yourself up for success unless you weigh 200 pounds are sailing a Hobie 14.

Randii

deleted comment sorry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OldChuck wrote:
Have not be around for a while.
Looking for a system to right a boat by myself so this topic is of great interest to me.
Considering getting a Getaway but at 140 lbs. and older and will be sailing mostly by myself. I know there is no way that I could right the boat without some heavy duty help. Concerned that the BAG does not work for some lighter guys and looking at all other options. I have seen the pole or board work well on the 16 and 18 but they do not have the front tramp and the 18 has a board slot that a pole would work well with.
I like the idea of wings and comfort plus the easy set-up offered by the Getaway. This boat will be at a permanent location on floats so setting up will just be putting on sails and going. Maybe there is a better boat out there but the Getaway seems to be a great all around small boat.

Any information or suggestions will be appreciated..

Hi, I am around the 60yr mark and around 85kg. Sometimes I can right the boat solo, but that's why i made the pole for the GETAWAY. It's very easy to use once you get the hang of it. It's always on the boat.. 'Just in case' cheers Jez
https://youtu.be/eHvCGd8DkD0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PS: I have a righting pole which works very well (vid in earlier post), but i did find that swimming the boat around so mast and hulls at 45 deg did work well for solo righting when wind is above average. I forgot my righting pole one day and went for a tumble in around 16knots. I am 85kg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Someone has asked for details on the pole. No drawing but hope this helps.
New pole is all aluminium and welded.
Pole 2.3m long. 40mm dia, 3mm thick
End Plate: 5mm ali plate 100mm square at end and bent to shape.
The pole should be cut at an angle where it joins plate as the pole is at an angle when deployed.
It seems complex but its not. It doesn't take long to deploy. It is stable in rough weather as the Getaway is such a big lump..
All the H16 sailors who solo with me use a righting pole. They wouldnt go without one. You cant use the H16 pole design on a getaway though.
Pics attached in flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147322625 ... res/1z6mfQ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It was me Thank you so much. And how did you give the plate the right shape and angle? Just guessing? 5mm ALI plate means 5 mms aluminium plate? With the new pics I believe I will be able to order one to my blacksmith . Also where do you exactly attach the ropes to the boat? In the video the hull hides it. The bungies to store it are passed through holes in the pole?Thank you and kind regards!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

morningsinger wrote:
It was me Thank you so much. And how did you give the plate the right shape and angle? Just guessing? 5mm ALI plate means 5 mms aluminium plate? With the new pics I believe I will be able to order one to my blacksmith . Also where do you exactly attach the ropes to the boat? In the video the hull hides it. The bungies to store it are passed through holes in the pole?Thank you and kind regards!

Plate bashed into shape by hand. It just needs to sit on the Skeg. Blacksmith will sort out. You could make a stiff cardboard shape that matches the profile of the skeg and give that to him.
Ropes attached to the tramp rope at back. At front, i have attached a short pice of rope around the beam (if i get time, i'll add another pic). DONT put any holes on pole apart from rivets need to hold where the ropes attach to pole to stop them sliding down. It needs to be waterproof. Bungy cord to hold ropes simply tied around pole. Cap the end with a plastic cap and silicone it in. You can wrap foam around the beam as well if worried about bouyancy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jezzaqld wrote:
morningsinger wrote:

Plate bashed into shape by hand. It just needs to sit on the Skeg. Blacksmith will sort out. You could make a stiff cardboard shape that matches the profile of the skeg and give that to him.
Ropes attached to the tramp rope at back. At front, i have attached a short pice of rope around the beam (if i get time, i'll add another pic). DONT put any holes on pole apart from rivets need to hold where the ropes attach to pole to stop them sliding down. It needs to be waterproof. Bungy cord to hold ropes simply tied around pole. Cap the end with a plastic cap and silicone it in. You can wrap foam around the beam as well if worried about bouyancy.

Many many thanks. You did a great job. I will keep you informed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jezzaqld wrote:
Someone has asked for details on the pole. No drawing but hope this helps.
New pole is all aluminium and welded.
Pole 2.3m long. 40mm dia, 3mm thick
End Plate: 5mm ali plate 100mm square at end and bent to shape.
The pole should be cut at an angle where it joins plate as the pole is at an angle when deployed.
It seems complex but its not. It doesn't take long to deploy. It is stable in rough weather as the Getaway is such a big lump..
All the H16 sailors who solo with me use a righting pole. They wouldnt go without one. You cant use the H16 pole design on a getaway though.
Pics attached in flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147322625 ... res/1z6mfQ

Just to check meassure of the plate is 10.000 square mm (100mm x 100 mm) not 100 isnt it? Then you give it the shape. It looks from the pics is about 100 mm wide X 160 mm long put into shape that makes 16.000 square mm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bad news so far, my blacksmith said that to give the shape to a 5 mm thick alluminium plate a special machine is needed and that it would be very expensive. Understood you did it just with tour hands?? isnt it extremely hard to bent?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

morningsinger wrote:
Bad news so far, my blacksmith said that to give the shape to a 5 mm thick alluminium plate a special machine is needed and that it would be very expensive. Understood you did it just with tour hands?? isnt it extremely hard to bent?

oh dear... Forget the blacksmith.. obviously not creative. You only need someone with a welder for the Aluminium tube. The
bent plate doesnt have to be accurate, just roughly bent into shape so it helps it top sit on the SKEG. 5mm is hard to bend. Find a friend with a vice, a bit of patience etc. Sorry would do for you if not thousands of miles away. As per previous suggestion, cut a cardboard template that fits the skeg (where the pole will sit) and use that as a guide for bend.

PS; My mate did the bend in 5 mins

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

morningsinger wrote:

BTW I should have posted this before: You dont have to have the bent shape. You can just buy a stock piece of 5mm thick angle. Get a pice cut to size, weld it on to pole. (dont forget the pole has to be at an angle of around 20degrees- see pics in earlier post which roughly show angle). Stick some carpet or rubber on inside of angle to help stop slipping on skegs. hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you so much. First problem seems to be sorted out. Blacksmith said it was difficult to find a 5mm piece of alluminium that size. Buy the hole standard planch to cut out the piece would be very expensive. I found a place to buy just what I need. I believe once with the alluminium piece I will find another blacksmith capable of giving proper shape. No problem with the pole an angle weld. From the picture at 90º of the plate I meassured a 15º angle.

As a last resource I can pay you for the costs of material,bent work, shiping to Spain, and couple of beers on my behalf :D :D :D

Thank you for your help!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all, didn't have time to make the pole. I did some capsize training with my son. Almost wind calm and we didn't have any problem to eight it. I weight 89 kg and my son 30kg. I found trouble to put the mast 45° with the wind. We stood on the bow sinking it and the boat started turning backwards but I believe the main sail catched water and it was impossible to finish the manuvre. As wind was almost calm we decided to try anyway succeeding at first attempt. I believe to rotate the boat to get the mast 45° with the wind might be better to do it leftward standing at the stern so the sail doesnt catch water.
Kind regards all.