Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, after sailing my Getaway solo, and not being able to right by myself, I started looking at different righting options. A righting bag did not work for me at all.
I saw this great vid of a H18 righting pole, but as Getaways dont have centre board holes i need a new way of holding on to hull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwZZX2ka820
This idea, which i haven't tried yet as cant sail for a few months, uses a piece of 50mm pvc pipe on the end, which when cut at the right place and mounted at the right angle, 'clicks' perfectly around the moulded skeg of the Getaway.
It has elastic straps which allow it to be stored behind the rear cross beam on top of hulls which can be accessed after capsize.
Simple rope loops tied around front beam and pushed through the gap on front right and left of tramp allow easy mounting of ropes that hold it in place (similar to vid except you can't go over the hulls on a Getaway when you have a front tramp).
There's a bit of rubber mat as well to stop slipping...
Hope this is of interest and someone can improve design. I'll hopefully test when i get out later this year.
A few images linked as i cant work out how to include

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147322625 ... 589498363/

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the video, it looked pretty complicated to set up-especially if you were in conditions that could cause a capsize. Let us all know how it works out-suggest test like they did in a calm lake with help nearbye.

Maybe 2 righting buckets?

I haven't capsized so far. Don't want to in the waters I sail-water is cold and often really windy and chop (plus commercial tankers who own the right of way).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
In the video, it looked pretty complicated to set up-especially if you were in conditions that could cause a capsize. Let us all know how it works out-suggest test like they did in a calm lake with help nearbye.

Maybe 2 righting buckets?

I haven't capsized so far. Don't want to in the waters I sail-water is cold and often really windy and chop (plus commercial tankers who own the right of way).

Yes, agreed a bit complex, but bucket was useless for me. Really hurt my shoulder and i couldn't keep it balanced. Much better option when you have access OVER the hull like a H16-18 so the weight is more vertical. And I really love the front tramp. It should take approx 3+ mins to set up the way i have it... I'd love to sail more solo so need the safety aspect of a righting option so its worth a try until something else comes up

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Put in a reef on your mainsail. Sail solo in 25 tks. Stay away from reaches.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
Put in a reef on your mainsail. Sail solo in 25 tks. Stay away from reaches.

Hear what you are saying and glad to hear you stay out in strong winds. PS i do have a reef point in my sail.
This post was just in case anyone was interested in DIY'ing a righting pole for a Getaway as I haven't seen any other options.
Some friends recently had a few close calls after capsizing when squalls hit well over 30 knts when out to sea so i'm looking to play it as safe as i can. cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm really surprised that you could not right the Getaway with a righting bag. I'm about 190 and I right it no problem with a bag. They key is to undo the main sheet from the sail, it will not pop up with the sail holding water. Also you may need to swim the sail into the wind.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also, you should practice righting, I have never flipped on accident, but I have flipped it 5 or so times teaching people how to sail and what to do in case of capsize.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

kevinbatchelor wrote:
I'm really surprised that you could not right the Getaway with a righting bag. I'm about 190 and I right it no problem with a bag. They key is to undo the main sheet from the sail, it will not pop up with the sail holding water. Also you may need to swim the sail into the wind.

Hi Kevin, Done all that and your suggestions in next post, but bag doesn't work for me at all. Have done a number of deliberate capsizes with 2 up and very easy even with a littly as extra weight.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dang, It pops up for me with a bag, I guess I'm fat :).

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe get a longer rope for the bag, toss the bag line over the wing, make a loop in the bottom of the rope, tug down on the rope, then step in the loop so you don't need to hold it with your shoulder...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Had a quiet day sailing so finally got around to testing my righting pole. Worked OK. Hope this helps anyone else interested in making one.
https://youtu.be/eHvCGd8DkD0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Now that's impressive, there is another pole design that rivets to a swivel under the main beam, I think it was made by rick white.. Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have not be around for a while.
Looking for a system to right a boat by myself so this topic is of great interest to me.
Considering getting a Getaway but at 140 lbs. and older and will be sailing mostly by myself. I know there is no way that I could right the boat without some heavy duty help. Concerned that the BAG does not work for some lighter guys and looking at all other options. I have seen the pole or board work well on the 16 and 18 but they do not have the front tramp and the 18 has a board slot that a pole would work well with.
I like the idea of wings and comfort plus the easy set-up offered by the Getaway. This boat will be at a permanent location on floats so setting up will just be putting on sails and going. Maybe there is a better boat out there but the Getaway seems to be a great all around small boat.

Any information or suggestions will be appreciated..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Technique is key, second only to a well-sealed mast. Work with someone who knows how to right their cat and practice with them... then practice on your cat. Once you have righted the boat, each time you do it after will add to experience and you'll 'feel' what works better... and you'll 'feel' what works less well. Practice with a buddy first and get that wired and you'll be better positioned to do it solo. Set yourself up for success.

There are some fine points that are difficult to share on a forum -- how far you lean away from the boat, if you're using a water bag how high you hoist it, how you get it behind your shoulder, how you balance the hulls bow to stern...

Having a harness or butt-bucket makes it much easier than trying to do it with your hands/grip.

This is a simple physics puzzle, to get enough weight far enough away from the center of gravity to turn the boat (you're fighting the boat weight and water weight against how you leverage your body weight, possibly a water bag)... but there are so, so many variables, and each affects the other.

Figuring this out solo on the water isn't setting yourself up for success unless you weigh 200 pounds are sailing a Hobie 14.

Randii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

randii,
Thanks. It makes sense. I may be creating a monster where none exists. Like most things it is the prep work that leads to success.

Chuck