Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hy again. Sorry if this question is too stupid but I am so new on this. I had to remove the jib from the forestay to repair it. Which are the knots suitable to use to tie it up again? In the tutorial videos the jib appears already mounted on the forestay. They don't explain how to properly put tension on it. A YouTube video would be appreciated. Kind regards to all.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The as designed method for doing this is to tie the head off with a line at the top swivel in a cascade (about 3:1) and then secure with half hitches. The tack is simply shackled to the forestay. The best way to tension it is to secure the bottom of the forestay to something while it is off the boat, then run the cascade through the head grommet of the sail and the swivel until it is as tight as you want it, then tie off.

I "improved" this a little by shortening the top cascade a little and leaving the tack free of the forestay. After raising the mast, I tension the luff by a short cascade between the tack grommet and another bow shackle I have lower on the chainplate. It is still set it and forget it, but I can loosen for light wind days and tension for heavy wind days without much trouble this way. I can also shorten the head cascade for light wind winter sailing to raise it so that the sheeting angle is more vertical to tighten the jib leach.

You can see the tack arrangement if you look close at 1:35 into this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lHM5UjgJcc

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh my God!Thank you Davis. Such a complete explanation though so technique. I hope I can translate into Spanish good and get to understand. What is exactly a Cascade?Thanks names of the knows are different. Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cascade is just making the line go between two spots over and over so you get more mechanical advantage before tying off. Like your mainsheet system except there aren't any blocks. Sorta like a truckers hitch and, in fact, you could use a truckers hitch instead if your line is too short for cascading between two spots. Perhaps I'm the only person who calls it a cascade and I apologize if so.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK that's understood. Thank you. I understand also that the top of the jig can be hanged with a shackle. Is that correct? Only the bottom is tied with a rope? I found this two knots suitable to tie up the ring.
https://youtu.be/MKnaUD0m1Js
https://youtu.be/Gvs6AU2NWFk

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just backwards. Top of the jib (head) is tied with rope (line). The bottom of the jib (tack) is shackled. The jib won't sheet properly if you use a shackle on the head since the leach (the side of the triangle facing the back (stern) of the boat) would be directly over the sheeting point on the mid crossbeam.

Also, neither of those knots are good choices. Those are slip knots that won't be able to be untied after a lot of tension will be put on them.

Use a bowline almost everywhere on your boat and multiple half hitches when you need to tie a line with tension on it. http://www.animatedknots.com/indexboati ... dknots.com

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you very much good idea also to tie the bottom as well to change tension. The kind of knot to apply is just what I was looking for. Nice Web!!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also safety wired the shackle on the jib, after I had a threaded shackle pin back itself out, and almost had my mast come down!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
Just backwards. Top of the jib (head) is tied with rope (line). The bottom of the jib (tack) is shackled. The jib won't sheet properly if you use a shackle on the head since the leach (the side of the triangle facing the back (stern) of the boat) would be directly over the sheeting point on the mid crossbeam.

Also, neither of those knots are good choices. Those are slip knots that won't be able to be untied after a lot of tension will be put on them.

Use a bowline almost everywhere on your boat and multiple half hitches when you need to tie a line with tension on it. http://www.animatedknots.com/indexboati ... dknots.com

Sorry to bother again right after putting tension in the jib with the cascade exactly which kind of knot do you use to secure it and not loosing tension? Can you tell it from the Web? I am doing testo at home but almost every time I loose tension. See minute 3:19 of the rigging video

https://youtu.be/gv1L8Q3K0Wk

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use half hitches.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Comming back to this topic and although I think I understood pretty well the procedure I would much appreciate if somebody could post a couple of detailed pics of the attachment of the jib. Thanks in advanced and kind regards.