Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Getaway was left out in the Florida sun so the front tramp is shot and looking at posts on the forum here trying to decide what to replace it with. I may call http://www.multihullnets.com/ and go that route as they are about an hour away from me in case I want to go there an pick one up. Big mesh, small mesh, DIY with Sailright.... way too many choices. Not sure I like the aftermarket ones with the lacing up the middle but not sure it really matters.

Ok first question, can I use my extra trap wires from my 16 for the Getaway? I am thinking roughly same lengths?

Next I am a bit concerned with the comptip mast. Not sure as I have nothing to compare it to (my Hobie 16's are solid aluminum) but there seems to be a gap between the top part and the bottom part of the mast. Hopefully I can get a pic to post here. Wondering if the PO did not get it pushed up in there far enough when he assembled it?? Also there seems to be some of the comptip material (fiberglass??) coming off. Can I fix that with something simple???

I guess that is it for now.

Thank you.

Matthew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That gap and comptip bottom look pretty ugly. Have you been able to get the mainsail up (I suspect it might not get through the gap easily). Does it move in or out? If it does, then I'd probably try to get it to go further in with some bondo---it might actually be best to remove it completely and then clean it up (both pieces), then reassemble with fresh bondo.

I also don't know what all those holes are doing...that wasn't on my mast.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone know how to remove the two mast halves??

I just got home from buying the Getaway so I have not done anything with it yet.

Funny I thought the same things about the holes... then I figured out it was rain drops!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You'll have to apply heat to separate the pieces but don't set the comptip alight. Since the comptip hasn't been affected by frost damage, it's most likely just cosmetic. Grind out the bad and fill with thickened epoxy and repaint. I would use gflex epoxy to attach the pieces back together.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the reason hobie recommends bondo for the join is because it is possible to unbond relatively easily if you need to replace the comptip (which happens occasionally). Is gflex possible to unbond like bondo? For sure, don't use sikaflex, 3M 5200 or other bedding compound of that ilk.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt Miller says the gap is ok.... so now I will fill the other areas with epoxy. What kind of thickened epoxy and what kind of paint would hold up?

Mast will stay rigged all the time.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use West System epoxy-it's just easy to measure correctly with the pumps. Thickening can be done with lots of different stuff-when you get the epoxy ask or go to Tap Plastic and get their marine epoxy and thickeners. I'm not sure I'd use epoxy at all for a cosmetic repair. I'd use something a little easier to sand. Typically I'd use Evercoat Formula 27 available at West Marine on cosmetic repairs. Paint with a plastic friendly paint. I use Krylon Fusion, but they have limited color selection.

Before doing the repair, though. Just to be sure the gap isn't an issue...Raise the mast and attempt to hoist the mainsail. Just to be sure it doesn't hang up on the gap. It'd be awful frustrating, doncha think, if you made it pretty but it didn't work.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for the advice. My goal is to work on the boat this weekend!!

My next thought is to service the roller furler. Can this be done and if so what parts can be worked on?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The furler can be disassembled completely, but be very careful that you don't lose any bearings. You may not need to disassemble completely, it may just need cleaning and lube. Don't forget to lube the top swivel at the same time.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any particular brand of lube you like to use? I have something (don't recall the name) that I use for the main sheet pulleys. Got it from Murrays.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you sail in and out from a beach, avoid the lubes that will capture sand (vaseline, marine grease, etc.). I just used regular motor oil--but I didn't beach launch; I sailed in an out of a dock.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use McLube SailKote for nearly everything. The only thing it doesn't prevent is the squeaking from the mast ball, that requires a bit of grease.

http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's nothing wrong with mcLube Sailkote-except the price. There are two inexpensive alternatives. Simple parafin wax (comes in solid blocks). Works great on the mast ball and socket. Lifetime supply costs about $5. The other alternative is that Tire wet stuff you spray on your tires to make them look black (tire dressing). It is mostly silicone. It works great on the sail track or tramp tracks when assembling and does work fine on the mast ball/socket as well to eliminate the squeaks. Much less expensive than Sailkote. I sprayed it (when I remembered) on anything that had moving parts prior to sailing.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I still have not had any time since I bought the Getaway to rig it. Busy weekends.... Then we had TS Emily and I was not prepared for it with such high wind gusts as well as the storm surge. Broke my jet ski lose and turned my Getaway around backwards against my H16.

Anyway, I was just looking at the mast (as I am going to Bondo some of the exposed areas on the Comptip - as seen in the photos above) and I noticed there was no more gap anymore as in the above picture. None at all. So in all of the shifting and moving the mast around it must have moved back into place.

I thought I saw a plastic rivet or cap on the mast. Is there a set screw or something that I should tighten?

I guess any movement will not be a problem since I will keep the mast up all the time???? How about when sailing?? Seems with all that downward force it would not be a problem either.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Matthew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very interesting that the comptip worked itself back into place. That could explain the cosmetic damage if it has been jostling in and out periodically. I think you might want to use some mild adhesive to keep it in place (RTV adhesive in the groove?).

I'm not a fan of keeping the mast up for long periods of time. You can do it but it will cause additional wear to the mast ball and socket, forestay and shrouds and hound and chainplates. You can eliminate a lot of the motion and jarring by keeping the rigging under tension (simplest is to bridle the shrouds, attach the main halyard, and secure with the mainsheet. You should use a good marine grease on the ball and socket if you are gonna keep the mast up a long time. But still, not a fan.

Dunno what plastic cap you are seeing. Doesn't ring a bell.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II