Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi to all. I am sure this topic has been treated but I looked gluing mast and nothing found. Could anyone give me some tip on howhat exactly bond the comp tip to the aluminium. Which product should I use? Epoxy resine? I have also heard silicone. Should I glue the bottom and and the whole border? What if I need to separate it?

And finally: I reach to learn that bonding is recommended but what's the worst that could happen if I don't do it? I often have to rig alone and doing it with one piece mast is really harder. Also trailering becomes more difficult.

Kind regards to all!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would use G/flex thickened epoxy.

http://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epo ... -adhesive/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt (Hobie) recommends bondo. I believe bondo (car body repair filler stuff) is that it can be unbonded if needed. Silicone or 3M 5200 or Sikaflex should not be used since it is nearly impossible to remove when/if needed. Same goes for epoxy resin...I dunno anything about gflex, but seems to me that it's intended to "weld" rotomolded plastic and neither part is rotomolded plastic...so why not use something cheaper like bondo?

The downside to not using anything is the mast parts can become separated while trailering. Additionally, there will be some movement between the parts while sailing--will end up chipping the comp tip.

All you want is a gap filler with a mild adhesive bond--bondo seems to fit the description.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you so much. I believe Bondo is not comercialized in Spain but must be what we call resina de poliester. The thing is that I like to trailer the hobie with the mast separated. I sail around 20 days per year and never in very heavy winds. My comp tip already has some small parts of the joining area gone but it fixes very well to the alluminium part without noticeable roominess. If this is all the risk I rather continue without gluing the mast

Any way if I decide to glue both part should I apply the bondo inside and to the whole aluminium compartment or is just a matter of sealing the joint after putting the comp tip inside the aluminium. It seems to me that even with bondo the first option would be a nightmare if separate the mast is needed.

Best wishes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Based on photos I've seen of the mast taken apart to replace the comptip, the bondo would be applied to the whole surface.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thankyou Davis. I had look to hondo web and there are lots of products. In order to try to find the equivalent product in Spain could
you be more specific? http://bondo.com/products
When you trailer the mast on one piece which part comes at the front of the trailer over the car? the comp tip? Finally is possible for one person to handle the mast on one piece from the trailer to the ball to raise it and viceversa?
Today I read almost the whole getaway forum and I learnt a lot of this and another issues. The only doubt I still have is being recomended to epoxy both pieces of the mast and even place some rivets to reinforce the join, not doing it can damage the comp tip but only superficially (esthetic) or can it cause structural damage?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the all purpose putty is the best bet. Ask the Hobie people if you aren't sure. Hobie EU might have a specific recommendation. You shouldn't need to epoxy or rivet in place. It is a simple join.

The normal method for trailering is for the mast base to be toward the front and above the tow vehicle; the big Hobie ball sticks out behind. One person can easily move the mast from the trailer mast support and back to the mast support ball. You can even take it off the boat completely (and I suggest you do so just for fun). If you pick the mast up in the middle you will find it only weighs about 80 pounds (about 36 kg).

Have fun and play with it...don't be afraid, anything you mess up can be fixed and it isn't easy to mess up to begin with.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank yo so much Davis.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's the Hobie procedure for installing a Comptip: https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/13070100CTIP.pdf

You would start at Step 5 for regluing an existing Comptip.