Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you very much for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I re-glued mine a couple weeks ago and made a youtube video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRvd2M0DWg&t=220s

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you. Very useful I guess is a good idea follow Mat's piece of advice to tape the guide to prevent epoxy or Bondo coming off.
Kind regards

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello every body, finally y joined the mast. It hapened something strange though. The alluminium hole is deeper than de comp tip extreme that gets inside. More than 1 cm deeper. We introduced a wood piece with the shape of the comp tip mast to recude the gap inside, I used the equivalent of a fiber reinforced bondo and it looks prety good. It had a lot of play before and now it looks solid as one piece mast. Tomorrow I will finish sanding and paint.

2013 subaru legacy 0 60

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It wasnt until yesterday I could glue the mast. I used a fiber reinforced bondo. The final job as you can see in the pictures looks pretty good but the result not so much. I went sailing today in 12 to 15 knots, flying hull, etc... and the reconstructed bondo come off after a while (see picture) I dont know if the mast is still glued because is still up om the hobie.

Anyway in my opinion problem is that the alluminium hole where you insert the comp tip is deeper than the extrem of the com tip you introduce in it. By 1,2 cm. We introduced a wood piece inside the alluminium hole, at the bottom, with the same shape of the comp tip mast base to try to reduce the gap but still not thick enough to make the base of the comp tip rest on it. In this way the weight of the comp tip rests on the alluminium mast edge in contact with the reconstructed bondo so it comes off when the mast is in action. Please could you have a look to the pictures and send any piece of advice. May be trying to make a piece with the exat thickness so the comp tim mast base rest on it without comming off or reconstruct the comp tip so as the alluminium edge is not in contact with the bondo and fill the gap with sica flex that is flexible as somebody suggested in the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All

Matthew, can I ask how the repair is holding up?

Has anyone else repaired similar mast issues (specifically referring here to the frayed white material being exposed)? Did you also repair using Bondo?

Has anyone ever tried fixing this issue with an epoxy, West system, or the like? I believe other people on this forum say that they have. But I am posting the question here because the pictures on this specific post help to clear up (for me anyway) much of the ambiguity in the other posts that seem to discuss this same topic.

Thank you for any replies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, in my case complete failiure. The bondo didn´t hold for the winter. I was sailing in june and the mast tip had come off the alluminium. I am having it reglued this days, this time with epoxy. Also following Matt piece of advice leaving a 1 cm gap betwing the two parts to aloow the comptip to flex without damage. Sealing the union with sicaflex or simmilar. I will keep you informed. Kind regards to all. I wish you the best sailing for this summer.

P.S. I bekame patreon of JOY RIDE TV at https://www.youtube.com/user/joeyenglez you tube. Lots of incredible videos and sailing tutorials.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In case you are ever in need (or someone else is) of replacing the comp tip in the future--I wouldn't bother. The comp tip is heavier than aluminum so the boat would be better (faster) without it. Only reason Hobie went to fiberglass tips on their masts was to prevent idiots from dying when raising their masts near electrical wires. So, if you mast needs a new extension, either find a Hobie 16 mast for a complete replacement or find a piece of a hobie 16 mast and sleeve it with pop rivets. Simple to do, just saw off about 2-3 feet of the donor mast and saw off the mast groove. Slip half in the bottom, slide on the top half of the donor mast, pop rivet in place. Just don't be an idiot around electrical wires when raising the mast.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone! So I have the dreaded comptip on a newer 2018 Hobie Getaway and it instantly started cracking at the joint like all of them everywhere. I tried to get it warrantied after the first sail from the dealership but they said it was normal for some cracking to occur at the joint. Now it has been a year on and the cracking is getting more pronounced. Is there an official word on the best product to use to fill in the cracks after some light sanding? It looks like the bondo didn't hold up for a crack filler and that makes sense since it doesn't flex. Hopefully, someone has been successful with the repairs and can share their knowledge since there are a million different products and variations and it's hard to know what the good stuff is. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the bottom of my Wave comptip is cracked like everyone describes. Other than cosmetics, the boat sails fine, so what's the harm in leaving it alone?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rojeff wrote:
the bottom of my Wave comptip is cracked like everyone describes. Other than cosmetics, the boat sails fine, so what's the harm in leaving it alone?

Can you post a picture of the cracks?