Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I purchased the Hobie kit this past winter and did a lot of research on the install but it seemed there were no good instructions and everyone complained about the Hobie supplied instructions that left a lot to be desired. I read all the posts on spinnaker install and took notes on everyone's experiences which I tried to include in my own install. I found reference to instructions for install that were originally drafted by OttawaDave a few years back but I don't think they were ever posted anywhere. I contacted Dave and he emailed his instructions to me. They were very comprehensive and included lots of pictures. I have since updated them to include my own experience and advice. A copy of the instructions can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zx0 ... sp=sharing

Last edited by KeithB on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good on you for posting the instructions!!! I had my dealer install the spinkit on my new Getaway before delivery. It saved a lot of grief.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That was nicely done, Keith.

I'm sure that folks who follow and buy the Hobie kit will be appreciative.

I can't help but say, though, that the complexity and expense of this kit is unnecessary if all you want is a spinnaker on the boat. Using the existing mast hound and the existing front crossbeam instead of a sprit makes it possible to install a modest (100+ sq ft) asymspin with little or no effort. Doesn't take away from your effort, though; so kudos.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's really not that hard. The worst part is trying to figure out where everything goes and how to route the lines. Decent instructions and pictures make that so much easier. Well, that and bending the new mast tang to fit nice and snug. Otherwise it's just about 20 rivets which I had never done before. Bought a rivet tool online for like $40 and practiced the riveting first on some scrap aluminum. Once I got the hang of it, no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like the Hobie spinkit. Not complicated at all and the snuffer system works like a charm. I also like the idea of the bridle to support the spinnaker pole.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I originally installed my halyard spring block on the spin pole (step 7, option b) because I liked the idea of drilling less in my crossbar and I liked the look more. However, I kept having problems with the spin halyard getting tangled around the top of the jib when furling. I have since moved it to the crossbar (step 7, option a) and it works perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice job! And thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

dksailor wrote:
I originally installed my halyard spring block on the spin pole (step 7, option b) because I liked the idea of drilling less in my crossbar and I liked the look more. However, I kept having problems with the spin halyard getting tangled around the top of the jib when furling. I have since moved it to the crossbar (step 7, option a) and it works perfectly.

It seems to be working out fine for me so far. Wonder what is different in our setups that caused your tangling issue. Maybe my halyard spring block is further forward or aft.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

morningsinger wrote:
Nice job! And thank you for sharing!

I can't take the credit. OttawaDave wrote the original. I just added to it and posted it. I never would have spent the time if I had to start from scratch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt Miller, why doesn't Hobie buy this document from OttawaDave and or Keith and include it/post it? It's approximately 1 million times better than the single page instruction, hand drawn, that came with my spin kit from the factory.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My Hobie dealer gives out copies of the instructions. You would think that Hobie would make the effort to supply coherent instructions with their products.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed the H16/getaway spinnaker kit on my 2020 getaway about 2 months ago. I just wanted to say thank you for the instructions. They were great and I would have had a tough time without them.
Currently working on modifying an all aluminum H16 mast. The getaway comp tip mast has a lot of sideways bend under load even with the main sheet and traveler in tight. Sailing down wind is much more fun now. :)
I wish I could attach a pic here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jtseely wrote:
The getaway comp tip mast has a lot of sideways bend under load even with the main sheet and traveler in tight.

Not sure that changing to a H16 mast will make any difference. Neither mast has spreaders to prevent the mast from bending under compression.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The H16 (non comp-tip) mast is a uniform diameter and doesn't taper towards the top like the comp-tip. Perhaps that would help the bend?

Independent of bend, the H16 mast will be stronger and is also lighter. The spinnaker puts a lot of force at the top of the mast and the comp-tip mast can fail at the joint. At least that's my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jtseely wrote:
I installed the H16/getaway spinnaker kit on my 2020 getaway about 2 months ago. I just wanted to say thank you for the instructions. They were great and I would have had a tough time without them.
Currently working on modifying an all aluminum H16 mast. The getaway comp tip mast has a lot of sideways bend under load even with the main sheet and traveler in tight. Sailing down wind is much more fun now. :)
I wish I could attach a pic here.

Did you use a different distance for the spin mast tang?