Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, Just curious if anyone has added large extra hatches to a Getaway? I thought they would be useful when camping for storing extra gear etc as there's little room in the esky hatches. Am considering back of hull toward rudders and using 8" hatch. I think I've seen some on a video on this forum but can't locate now. Any ideas or pros and cons?

cheers J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jeremy i think this post is the best one so far re: discussions. Looking back nobody actually went ahead and completed this thou
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... it=hatches

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt15 wrote:
Jeremy i think this post is the best one so far re: discussions. Looking back nobody actually went ahead and completed this thou
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... it=hatches

Thanks Matt, was a good thread. I have definitely seen a vid or pic of someones boat with the rear hatches so seams it has been done. Would love to know if any issues or regrets etc...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why not try this before making permanent mods to the boat. Take the hatches off the boat. Load your camping gear inside the hulls (attach lines to each bag so you don't lose them inside). Put the hatches back on the hulls. Put the tools you need to take the hatches off inside the hatch compartment. Include a siphon in your gear in case the hulls get water inside.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
Why not try this before making permanent mods to the boat. Take the hatches off the boat. Load your camping gear inside the hulls (attach lines to each bag so you don't lose them inside). Put the hatches back on the hulls. Put the tools you need to take the hatches off inside the hatch compartment. Include a siphon in your gear in case the hulls get water inside.

Gday, thanks for the idea, but as the hatches are sealed on to the hull, (2007 model) it would probably be asking for leak issues if I remove, so rather not do that. At present there's never been a drop of water in the hulls, just minute amount of condensation. I do have tiny bags that connect to a line via the 5inch? hatch inside the esky, but they are too small to be practical. I'd like to be able to get a tent and rolled up mattresses inside the hull as they would fit via a 8inch hatch.
I do have lots of dry bags etc. It would also be a handy way access hull to easily add hiking strap bolts should i ever feel like doing.

Just hoping to find the person who has modified and hear their opinions...
Also hoping that HOBIE ENGINEERING might volunteer info on whether this action might weaken hull which is my main concern.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are these the round or square hatches? My 2012 has square hatches (which I just replaced the hatch covers on), and the actual compartments are molded into the hulls. The newer twist and seal hatches are definitely sealed better than the original installed hatches (that look like the photo below).
The newer twist and seal hatch covers are extremely sturdy. I think you could cut holes in the top of your hulls, maybe reinforced around the inside with angle aluminum, and through-bolt the hatches in place.
I don't think Hobie engineering is going to give an official okey-dokey to modifying the hulls!

Imagehatch by Bob Peterson, on Flickr

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very rough photoshop of what I'm thinking of doing.
Hope this make it clearer. I should have posted a pic before
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147322625 ... ateposted/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After chatting with Hobie directly I have abandonded this idea in case of any structural issues to hull.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Member "TheInterestHunter" has done what I believe you are describing. I remembered seeing it one of his videos. They are easily seen at the 3:35min mark. Maybe he'll chime in and offer some info on his experience with doing it. It might be a while before he does though since he's in Florida and they are getting pounded by Irma now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tveSYhYpgc0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

owtcast wrote:
Member "TheInterestHunter" has done what I believe you are describing. I remembered seeing it one of his videos. They are easily seen at the 3:35min mark. Maybe he'll chime in and offer some info on his experience with doing it. It might be a while before he does though since he's in Florida and they are getting pounded by Irma now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tveSYhYpgc0

Looks like a great trip but I'd never do that to my Getaway. I'm letting this idea go for the moment.