Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

not to mention that the H16 is fiberglass which cannot take a punishing like a getaway. Both the h16 and 17 I owned always ended up taking on water and needing repairs every year. You can take a hammer to a Getaway and all is good...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the input, based on that I've done some more research and thinking about it, it seems that a Getaway is the way to go.
Thank you very much for all the good posts and thoughts.

Now I'm asking more details about that!
I put up another post about what year boat I should look for.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61543

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You'll love the Getaway. You can lie down on the tramp and steer it with your toes (popping up, of course, to check for traffic routinely) on a 5 knot day, or scream across a flat harbor at 18 knots on one hull. I've sailed my 2010 Getaway on Lake Erie for 6 years, usually once a week during the seasons, after sailing a Wayfarer monohull for six years. Started out scared of capsizing, now flying a hull routinely when the winds are up over 15 knots. Capsized once - on purpose in a calm lake. My 220 lbs couldn't get the boat over on its side - my brother in law had to pull from the deck of his boat on a line tied to my halyard (my brother in law capsized me - there's an in-law story). I needed his help to get righted too, though he said he only pulled with about 10 lb of force, which I'm pretty sure I could get with a little help from any wind greater than 6 or 7 knots. One surprise from this experience - when the hull finally came back down, it was relatively gentle, and I could easily hold on to the righting line under the edge of the tramp and allow myself to go under and not get hit by the hull when it settled back down, though I wouldn't expect it to be as gentle if the wind was helping the boat back up.

In my experience, there are 2 keys to not capsizing (a monohull dinghy or a cat): 1. In any gusty or high wind, KEEP THE MAINSHEET UNCLEATED. 2. KEEP YOUR WEIGHT UPWIND AND AFT. Number 3 would be sail with common sense and caution - let the sheet fly if you find yourself uncomfortable, then be a little bold on the next gust and push yourself a little. So what if it takes you two seasons to get up on one hull - you'll look like a pro when you can do it with calm and confidence that comes from edging up to it. Of course, if you like life on the wild side go ahead and yank the sheet in when the hull comes up, but I'd make or buy a righting bag that you can hang over your shoulder (Hobie has one in their catalog) to scoop 100 lbs or so of water to add to your weight as you're hanging from the hull.

One other recommendation - go out sometime and rent a Laser, Sunfish, Topaz, or other small, narrow dinghy and really push yourself - capsize about 3 or 4 times and right it to convince yourself you won't die when it happens. You'll get used to the feeling and learn how far you can push before the boat flips.

2011 Getaway "Happy Couple"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks Don, looking forward to it! That righting bag is good idea, I'll look into that.
I can usually keep a dinghy from capsizing so I guess I'll get the hang of it. They do look like fun boats, found a few high speed videos that show them moving pretty well.
It does seem like a pretty versatile boat too with the ability to bring a crowd out as well. Once I get one I'll pass on the info for what I found.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
not to mention that the H16 is fiberglass which cannot take a punishing like a getaway. Both the h16 and 17 I owned always ended up taking on water and needing repairs every year. You can take a hammer to a Getaway and all is good...

I would have to disagree. While the Getaways can take a hammering from a hammer, the 16 hulls are still incredibly strong and can handle tons of abuse.

That having been said, the Getaways are great fun. They rig quickly, and are still fun to sail. Enjoy your boat, and don't fear the capsize.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went through this as well. Spent many hours researching what to get, family of 4. My son & I are the more adrenaline junkies, wife & daughter are more of the, needs to be warm sunny & calm. I bought a 2017 Getaway. Its a great family boat, we have a lot to learn. I made the right choice. If we ever decide we want more performance we can add a 16 or something. Lost Roadie has a beautiful looking 16 for sale, if he was closer I would grab that in a heartbeat. Steve C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks Steve, hoping to pick up a getaway shortly. Seems to cover a lot of bases. I feel the same way, after having it a while I can go to something faster if I feel the need...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll sell you mine :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dpalac wrote:
You'll love the Getaway.
In my experience, there are 2 keys to not capsizing (a monohull dinghy or a cat): 1. In any gusty or high wind, KEEP THE MAINSHEET UNCLEATED. 2. KEEP YOUR WEIGHT UPWIND AND AFT. Number 3 would be sail with common sense and caution - let the sheet fly if you find yourself uncomfortable, then be a little bold on the next gust and push yourself a little.

I'm surprised that you don't even mention the tiller...If going to weather, head up to quickly depower...If going downwind, fall off to quickly depower. It actually works much faster to regain control for me.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Found a Getaway. Actually I found at least 4. I looked at a very nice 2012, a pretty nice 2007, and a pretty nice 2005.

The 2005 had really nice looking hulls and tramps, it had only been in fresh water. The mast looks good except a little chipping where the comptip meets the metal. The hobie dealer felt it was purely cosmetic and I've pretty much convinced myself it is as well.

Everything else seems in pretty good shape except the (original) sails are a little worn and dirty. But, this one was a bargain at $ 2,200 with a pretty nice galvanized 2005 trailer so I bought it. I will probably apply some thick-end, black-end resin and make the comptip look nice and hopefully avoid any more chipping.

I may have to spring for some nicer sails, probably should try these ones out and see. Anyone have a nice extra set of sails you have maybe just upgraded??

Anyway, I think I got into the Getaway game fairly cheap, and who knows, if I really like it, I can always trade up...

Thanks for all the good advice and ideas,
Jeff in NH