Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeff05 wrote:
Thanks for all your ideas. On the Hobie side I chose the getaway as a practical and cost effective option. It could be a different beach cat if there are significant performance (or better high wind sailing) advantages without too much more setup time or other disadvantages.

Have you looked at the T2?

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I was just talking to a Hobie dealer about the Getaway and I looked one over. Pretty nice, the only issue I was thinking about was making the mast raising as easy and quick as possible.

I also asked him what he thought of the T2. He thought it fell between the wave and the getaway, that the getaway should perform a little better. He also thought the 16 will perform a little better than the getaway, I believe he said it had more sail, less weight and less hull area touching the water (and slipperier material, fiberglass) so the 16 might actually go a little faster. The Getaway may take a little more wind though? The Getaway and 16 are in the running!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeff,
If you are going to compare boats for performance, suggest you do this...

Take the Length in Meters and raise to the 0.3 power
Take the total sail area (Jib plus main) and raise to the 0.4 power
Multiply those two numbers together.
Take the weight of the boat plus your weight in kg and raise to the 0.325 power.

Take the product you got in step three and divide by the number you get in step 4.

Bigger number is fastest.

It doesn't tell you which can point better; but it does give a pretty good guesstimate of speed or performance. It also can't tell you which is the more "tender" boat (which is easiest to capsize). Generally, trimarans are harder to capsize than cats. A Getaway, though, is less tender than a 16 since it is heavier and has bench seats. If you like sailing on trapeze, it doesn't matter much, though. And finally, the Mast stepper 3 for only $250 is a great bargain and makes raising the Getaway mast easy for a single hander. I posted a video of it being done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE9cmSGmXcM

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

Last edited by tpdavis473 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hmm, may have to setup a spreadsheet TP,
I do like the wings for sittin on the getaway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The T2 will run circles around a Getaway. It is very close to the H16 and will actually surpass it in some conditions. It has a much more modern sail rig.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom, I don't think that's right. They are pretty comparable boats. Getaway is a little longer and has a little more sail area and weighs about the same. Neither has boards so pointing will be comparable; T2 doesn't come with wings. Using the formulae I posted above and using a single hander of 75kgs, I get 0.83 for the Getaway and 0.81 for the T2. So a race between them ought to be pretty close--based on the numbers.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's not even close - T2 by a mile. I have sailed them both. Not even close.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good to have a firm opinion and some actual experience. Then again, I have had the experience of sailing over the top of a weta in my Getaway; numbers say that shouldn't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XDdxknGR0

Horses for courses; drivers make a difference. Every boat has a sweet spot just as every boat has its nemesis conditions.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have Getaways on our lake an quite a few are sailed by very good sailors. None can sail past me in the Weta or the T2. It's not even close. The T2 is a higher performance boat than the Getaway. The same guy sailing both boats is going to go faster on the T2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed that conventional wisdom puts the T2 as faster than Getaway. But to say it can sail rings around the Getaway is overstating. I prefer Getaway since it has wings (I don't trapeze-don't have the figure for it:)) and a substantial forward spreader bar with front tramp. You can fit a spin tacked to the front spreader and not have to deal with the $2K spin kit from Hobie.

A weta with only one person on board will be much faster than carrying two--part of the reason I was able to sail over the top. Other part was the owner had his screacher up and tensioned, so the forestay was slack--ain't gonna go to weather very well that way--part of the reason I prefer snuffed spins over roller furled genakers. Another part is tiller time, I have hundreds of hours racing in those waters, so I know all the shifts and eddies.

Jeff seems to be looking for used boats...he will likely not find many used T2s. Used Getaways are hard to find, as well. At least around here, used Wetas are available-probably because there is a big one design fleet in the bay. Wetas take more time from trailer to water which is important to me, but maybe not so important to Jeff.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wasn't suggesting that the T2 would be the better boat for him - I don't think it would be. But it is a faster boat then the Getaway, sailor for sailor. The T2 is a tad lighter and has a much more modern rig on it. It's a more efficient boat. Not that the Getaway is bad - it's really pretty good, but it's not going to stay with the T2, sailor for sailor, wind for wind. The only place it might have an advantage would be in lighter wind speeds. That would be about it. Put them both out there in double digit winds and the T2 will walk away from the Getaway.

The Weta, for all intents and purposes, is a one-person boat. At least if you expect to get good performance out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll keep an eye on the T2, what I reported was one dealer's opinion. Also the 16 I guess.....
I've only sailed in an older 16 with truly out of date sails, and pretty bad rudders - I need to get one of these cats out, and I am trying to get a date with a weta...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While the H16 might be considered "old technology" it remains a great performance boat. Plenty of power. Can haul two easy, and on good days more than that. It still remains the best "bang for the buck" in terms of a performance multi-hull that I know of. If you've got $2500, you can get a very decent H16 and have enough power and speed to easily get yourself into trouble!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom, this is a possibility. As I say, even an old H16 junker with really beat sails and a rudder that just pulled hard all the time got going pretty fast with 3 of us on it. I think the cams are screwed up on his rudders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no experience with the T2, I've never even seen one.
I know the H-17 and Getaway very well, and have sailed a few times on a H-16 and alongside H-16s a lot.

The H-16 are faster in light winds than the 17 or Getaway. They also capsize a lot easier than either boat; I've been alongside 16s with both boats when the 16 went over; and on my 17 I was pleasantly flying a hull, and on the Getaway both hulls were still in the water. In heavy winds, the 17 is faster than the 16 or Getaway. But the 17 is limited for crew. More than 2 real sized adults on a 17 and it's very low in the water.

The Getaway will handle big wind and larger crews than either the 16 or 17. I don't think it's as fast as either of the fiberglass boats unless you are carrying a lot of people. The Getaway is a beast. I've had 6 adults on it in some pretty good winds, and moved right along. Neither a 16 or 17 would have handled that many people. A 17 would literally be underwater.

Too many canoes and kayaks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next