Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I normally bring my H16 with me to the beach but this year I had a trailer issue and had to leave it. I'd like to have something to sail, and I'd like that to be a Getaway if possible since I may end up deciding that it's a better boat for me. Actually anything that sails would be welcome, but ideally it would be a Getaway or a T2. Does anyone in the Nags Head to Hatteras area have one I could rent, now through maybe the end of next week?

I have a call in to Norbanks about it, but I suspect it would be cost prohibitive based on their hourly rates. Also, they are quite far away from Rodanthe where I am.

If you are interested, please give me a call. 434-409-3767

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just to add a data point, neither of the places up north would rent me a Getaway for me to take off premises, so we never go to the point of talking price. Seems their liability insurance requires that I sail it from their property. Kayaks and paddle boards I could take home, but not sailboats.

Places were KHWS (the old Hobie dealer) and Norbanks sailing, which is sort of the new Hobie dealer although it seems that they are separate businesses that are co-located. I didn't look for any other providers.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I rented from NorBanks when we visited the outer banks in 2016. Wide selection of boats, all extremely well maintained for a water sports place. I rented Getaways for two 2 hour sessions. They have custom smaller sails on all their Getaways to cut down on capsizes, but the winds tend to be so good there that I barely noticed. Stilll got her up on one hull for a short time. The short fetch in the sound they have you sail in keeps the water smooth even when it's really blowing. Their service was well worth the money. I rented a Flying Scot and took the family out - also a great experience. Staff was always ready and waiting in the water when they saw me coming in. Probably the best boat rental/charter experiences I've had. I rented 3 times in the same week.

2011 Getaway "Happy Couple"