Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gday
Our social Facebook sailing group in Queensland (SEQHS) does a bit of Camping/Sailing mainly in H16, H17, H18 and Calypso 16s. As a Getaway owner I was concerned about dragging the cat up the sand even with a few people, and the big beach rollers that came with the cat are very cumbersome. They get in the way of spinakker and jib sheets etc and they weigh a bit.

So banged together a prototype that can be dismantled and flat packed around on any boat or carried on a Getaway just forward of the mast. Its not as light as I would have liked but OK i think.

It's been made to slide with a tube in the centre pole to suit a Calypso 16, Getaway, H16, 17, 18, so camp friendly when with a group. It has a much lower profile than most wheels and should work ok on 'hard' sand at low tide.. If flat packed on a getaway, the split pole can go under the seats with the wheels flat on the front tramp just behind the centre beam. I added pull ropes to help it go under the hulls. No special tools required. 50mm (3mm) ali tube and a short bit of rectangular (1.6) through the centre. No bearings at all (knocked the steel ones out and emery papered the centres to remove rough spots) so will wear out inside of wheels over time i guess...

just sharing an idea. Hope the link works....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147322625@N07/shares/1a1381

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very nice! Did you fabricate the hull cradles? I haven't seen that type before.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you only need to get the boat a very short distance up the beach, check out the PVC pipe and vinyl "track slide" rollers for the H21SC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIqAhV_ZEHA
track slide starts at: 2:30.

I use them with my 21SC, and with a couple of people I can move the boat up the beach enough to clear the 'high water' mark. The 21SC is a 600lb boat, and it is not unusual for me to have 100lbs of gear aboard.

The rollers work ok on sand, gravel and golf ball sized rocks. when the rocks get to be baseball sized and larger you need to prep the surface to clear out any rocks that protrude up from the rest more than the height of the rollers. If the rocks are sharp, find a different beach.

Beach wheels work way better, but it is hard to beat the rollers for ease of transport and weight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

leecea wrote:
Very nice! Did you fabricate the hull cradles? I haven't seen that type before.

No, There were off my old Yellow beach rollers. Dont know the manufacturer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

speed633 wrote:
If you only need to get the boat a very short distance up the beach, check out the PVC pipe and vinyl "track slide" rollers for the H21SC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIqAhV_ZEHA
track slide starts at: 2:30.

I use them with my 21SC, and with a couple of people I can move the boat up the beach enough to clear the 'high water' mark. The 21SC is a 600lb boat, and it is not unusual for me to have 100lbs of gear aboard.

The rollers work ok on sand, gravel and golf ball sized rocks. when the rocks get to be baseball sized and larger you need to prep the surface to clear out any rocks that protrude up from the rest more than the height of the rollers. If the rocks are sharp, find a different beach.

Beach wheels work way better, but it is hard to beat the rollers for ease of transport and weight.

Very nice, hadn't seen those before. Last camp the distance was over a hundred fifty feet to the high tide mark, so not practical for that camp spot, but will keep in mind, thank you