Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My son and I learned to sail on a puddle duck named The Bleeding Duck which is hull number 344 that can be found on pdracer.com . look at members, Indiana, hull #344. I then bought a 14 foot single hull boat with a jib which we only sailed a dozen times in the last 2 years. now I live on small lake and am a new owner of a hobie 16. I was considering my first sail being without a jib to keep it simple, however after reading from this forum I think set it and leave it is a better option, so if any one can explain the best way to set the jib for for that, I would greatly appreciate it. Also I think I will reef the main sail until I get used to everything, and I have looked at enough videos about how to stop and heave to, just looking for more advice to make sure I don't flip it or worse. bought a Baby Bob to make sure I don't turtle. Just looking for advice on how to go slow until I have enough confidence to take this to Lake Michigan.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just get out there and sail it. You need to capsize and right it, because you will capsize-that's not an if, it's a when. But that's ok, they are made to capsize and recover. You just need to learn your best technique and to not be afraid of them.
When you're on a small inland lake is the time to push the boundaries, learn what the boat will do, and how you can best control it, and then what to do when you've lost control. Get confident at that, then sail Lake Michigan.

I kept my Hobie Getaway on Lake Michigan the first year I owned it. (My 3rd catamaran and about my 7th small sailboat) Some lessons I learned were that truly good sailing days are rare; half the time the wind is piddling, 1/4 of the time the wind is good and the waves are manageable, and 1/4 of the time the waves beat you to death. I don't know why, but the waves on Michigan are short, steep and brutal.

When you go out on Lake Michigan, I would suggest you carry 3 things: a waterproof hand-held VHF radio (on your PFD, not the boat. It does you no good if you get separated from the boat), a set of flares in a ziplock bag, and a small compass (the fog sometimes comes in quickly, and this can guide you to the proper shore). It's a cold lake, so consider wetsuit or drysuit on anything more than bluebird days. I know this seems like a lot, but like my Great Lakes mentor said to me when I said, "but I have such a little boat"..."Yup, and it's a great big lake."

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is no way to "set and forget" the jib (OK, I guess in theory you could do this, but it would cause more harm than good). The jib needs to be tacked from side to side every time you tack or jibe the boat. It also needs to be trimmed (pulled in or let out) depending on whether you're going upwind or downwind. This is really not that difficult to do as long as you have a crew on board that can take care of the jib and allow you to take care of the mainsheet and steering.

I also would not recommend reefing the main. Better to rig the boat as intended since it will handle better and be a cleaner setup.

Most importantly, pick days with good weather for your first few sails. That means warm air and water temps and winds between 5 and 10 mph. If you can sail where other Hobies sail, that would certainly be advised also.

sm

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have a traveler on that boat and can use it to good effect. Upwind, you can drop it out a couple feet to depower. Bring it in to center downwind. Likewise, attach the jib sheet to the adjustable clew plate at the forward bottom hole. This will put more pull on the sail foot and allow the top to twist off and spill air.

On the water, just remember that if you need to slow down while sailing upwind, sheet out and head up, Downwind, just the opposite, sheet in and head down. You need to practice this enough so it becomes instinctive when you get overpowered.

It is never a problem to make a boat go slow, or even stop. The trick is in making it go fast.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
...sheet out and head up...

The good thing is that this is the same movement in both arms. I try to keep the hand with the mainsheet pretty close to my chest and then I can push both arms away from me to accomplish sheeting out and heading up. I also don't cleat the mainsheet unless it's very low risk weather.