Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've removed the original tang from my 2004 Getaway and am ready to install the replacement but have need of some help.

1. The Hobie dealer identified the parts and provided them. I received the new tang (part # 20690000), 12 ss pop rivets (part # 8010121) and 12 ss or aluminum rivet caps (part # 8011291) Both rivets and caps have 7/8" depth.
2. After removing the tang and punching out the old rivet caps, I discovered there is a metal core and I can't get the new rivet caps to seat all the way to the flange. Did I get the correct rivet caps and pop rivets?
3. If they are the correct parts, how do I install them? I am assuming the rivet cap goes in first since it won't pass through the factory holes of the Tang.
4. Should I use any type adhesive sealer on the back of the tang? The original looks to have had something applied.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. I'd ask the Hobie dealer where I purchased them, but they're no longer in business... and to make matters worse, I'm planning to take the boat on vacation Friday...

Barry Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I suspect that when you drilled out the old rivets, you left some of the old cap or rivet attached since someone also used a sealant that glommed onto the mast. Try a punch. Don't use a drill bit. You could also eschew the use of the caps and just use the rivets. Hobie is the only manufacturer I know who uses both the cap and pop rivets--they also like sealant...probably because they don't want their masts to leak...but with the big ball on top of the Getaway--I sure wouldn't worry.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II