Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Went sailing with a friend (competition H14...and H18 sailor) who noticed that the leech of the sail wasnt performing as he would expect. The battens seemed to curve away at the back of the leech rather then keeping a nice inward curve, meaning (i think) that wind gets wasted at the power part of the sail. I know that we dont have outhaul and the clew holes only seem make a bit of difference, but I cant work out how the battens should be tightened .. tight so they they are hard to pop, or just firm lying on a lawn...
Sail is approx 2007 but well looked after.. but we do use it regularly
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What did your friend suggest? If you tighten them too much, the battens won't reverse in light breeze when you tack. Also, since your boat is boomless, the hole you put the mainsheet in will also affect the way the battens look. On my boat, the mainsail had an enormous amount of camber compared to boomed sails-which also probably appeared different to your friend. My "rule of thumb" for batten tension is to put a little tension (snug plus a 1/2" per linear batten yard) on light wind days; then on normal or high wind days, double that. Basically you should feel nearly the same tension on all the battens.

If you've been sailing the boat since 2007, though, you probably know already what "looks and feels" right, right?

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are your battens installed correctly with the tapered end towards the luff (forward edge of the sail)?

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
Are your battens installed correctly with the tapered end towards the luff (forward edge of the sail)?

sm

good question.. i have never had them out.. just loosened every time. I'll have a look.

Amended: Just had a look and they are same profile along batten. Checked with Hobie and thats the way they are made for the Getaway.
The H16 has tapered factory battens.

Last edited by jezzaqld on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
What did your friend suggest? If you tighten them too much, the battens won't reverse in light breeze when you tack. Also, since your boat is boomless, the hole you put the mainsheet in will also affect the way the battens look. On my boat, the mainsail had an enormous amount of camber compared to boomed sails-which also probably appeared different to your friend. My "rule of thumb" for batten tension is to put a little tension (snug plus a 1/2" per linear batten yard) on light wind days; then on normal or high wind days, double that. Basically you should feel nearly the same tension on all the battens.

If you've been sailing the boat since 2007, though, you probably know already what "looks and feels" right, right?

He wasnt sure as the sails set differently to other Hobies with booms and outhauls, so he suggested the forum. I generally set the mainsheet in the last hole when light winds and middle when blowing.
I'll be more diligent and try your settings on batten tension in the future.
I've only been sailing for 2 years. Bought the boat second hand.
Thanks for replying