Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a beach in front of my cabin where I keep my Getaway in the summer. I winch it up 25 feet from the shore. Unfortunately I now have a bum shoulder. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good electric winch that can be mounted on a post?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen guys take a battery operated drill with a socket & put that on the nut of one of them crank by hand boat winches. Steve C.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That’s what we used on our trailer winch, ( an electric drill), works great.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, yah, you could do that. But there are also AC winches (extension cord from house) with decent capacity--you'd probably want 500 pound minimum. Just check out Amazon and find one that meets your budget..you are going to do this often, so might as well make it convenient. And if you decide you can afford more power draw, you can gear it up so it goes faster (ie, pull 1000 pounds through 1:2 so instead of 25 feet of line being winched, you are only pulling in 12.5 feet).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With our regular boat winch, it can be released so I can quickly release and pull the 1” fabric strap quickly and hook it to the bow. Then use the drill to wind the 21ft 300+ lb boat, (TI) up onto the trailer.
I googled electric winch, and saw one at Lowes for $80 bucks, (2000lbs, and I think 25 ft), runs on 12 vdc I think.
If it can be released and pulled out quickly, might be a winner. It would really suck if it took 5 minutes to get the hook out to the end of the trailer, just sayin, ( might be the key difference between cheepo winches and good winches).
I’ll stick with my cordless drill I think. If I forget the drill, the hand crank works fine with any boat, (pretty much every power boat trailer on the planet has the hand crank winch), why re-invent the wheel.
But then again I’m pulling onto my trailer, which is likely way different, from what your tryin to do.
FE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a 2000lb champion winch to pull my T2 (on cat trax) up the beach and a fairly steep (~25 deg), 16' ramp to get it up on top of my sea wall. I used a chunk of 2x10 on top of two posts and a marine battery I had laying around. only need to charge the battery a few times per season. I had a more expensive AC winch, but it didn't survive a full season. the champion has been running 3 seasons now. I cover it with a tarp during the season, and bring it inside for winter.