Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway halyard life?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2010 Getaway, and the original halyard broke yesterday - the wire cable separated from the metal cap on the rope part of the halyard. I have to admit I have not checked the halyard like I check my shrouds and forestay - I'm on my third set of shrouds, and the forestay has no kinks or frayed portions. I have sailed progressively more aggressively, especially the last two years.

What are folks' experience with Getaway halyard life? How about the forestay?

2011 Getaway "Happy Couple"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you got 8 years on your halyard, you are doing better than most. Most only last a couple-3 years. Never had forestay or shroud issues...what caused you to replace the shrouds? Most get more than 8 years on a set, so replacing twice in 8 years seems a problem. Shrouds do fail at the swage (where hidden corrosion can occur) or by being coiled too tightly or kinked for trailering.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You got it. Trailering, including the rubbing, bending, and kinking that occurs when raising the mast solo, has been tough on the shrouds. Since the forestay is not winding itself under tension around wings, shoes, motor mounts, or anything else while the mast is being raised, it doesn't see the same amount of rubbing and kinking. So that's where my shroud wear is coming from. I raise and lower the mast every time I sail.

My concern about the forestay, even though I inspect it every sail, is that it's got so many parts that can fail, and some of them are wrapped in the sail or hidden inside the fuller where I can easily see them. Also wear inside the swivel worries me. I just ordered the furler tune up kit, forestay assembly, yoke, and adjuster from backyard boats, just out of abundance of caution. I'm sailing too much now that I'm retired to expect continued long life from old hardware.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you have had issues with your shrouds when trailering and hoisting, you might want to consider switching to dyneema which doesn't kink when you need to replace them next time. You'll have to figure out a few things to make the conversion. If you aren't using a mast raising system, you might want to consider the one from Hobie; it isn't very expensive and works pretty easily.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yep, got the Mast Stepper 3. I don’t use it much. It takes a while to get it set up, and I can still lift the mast without a problem. As I’ve gotten more practiced, I’m not noticing the shrouds wearing out, but the shrouds are pretty cheap and I’m used to replacing them every 3 years or so.

Thanks for the advice.

Since I posted this, I did a re-search on the Getaway forum using slightly different keywords, and found, among other things, Matt Milller’s statistics on standing rigging replacement. It sounds like I got my money’s worth out my halyard, and am probably due for a forestry replacement. It might be time to replace the bridles, too, but they are the most inspectible and least beat-up part of the standing rigging, so I’m feeling OK with them for now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would recommend removing and inspecting your chain plates if you haven't already. The getaway has two chain plates sandwiched together on each hull. This makes it more difficult to see wear without removing them. I've had to replace mine twice in 15 years. I would also recommend carefully inspecting the yoke on the bottom of the forestay swivel. Mine split at the bend which resulted in de-masting. I have also discovered that the mast will eventually fail at the junction of the comptip and base. There were no visible signs of wear when mine broke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dksailor,

What kind of wear did you see on your chain plates? Are they the chainplates at the base of the shrouds? I’m almost exclusively a freshwater sailor so I don’t have corrosion worries.

Can you describe the inspection process? The only access to the insides of the hulls on my Getaway is through the bottom of the cooler compartments. I’ve got long arms, but I’m not sure they’re long enough to wind around inside the hulls to get at the heads of any bolts. But it’s worth it if wear is the issue (and not corrosion).

Thanks for the heads up, and please follow up if you can!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, the chainplates at the base of the shrouds. They corroded, but the corrosion was between the two plates that are sandwiched together. You can easily inspect them when the mast is down by removing the screws and taking them off so you can see the entire plate.

I sail in salt water, so I am sure that is a contributing factor.