Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Docking a Getaway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I plan to bring my Getaway to Lake George later this summer for a family vacation and the place we are staying is right on the lake but they don't have a beach area that I can leave the boat when not in use and overnight. Instead they offered a boat slip at their dock. Due to the getaway's slack rigging, they aren't designed to be left afloat while not sailing for long periods of time. They are called beach cats for a reason. So I plan to tie off the mast so it doesn't swivel and put tension on the shrouds using the main sheet/block. If we are going to get a storm I will pull it out of the water but for calm weather, I think it should be alright for a week as long as I secure everything that would otherwise be in constant motion. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? I know it's not recommended but for 1 week it should be fine, right? The dock is in a cove / protected area.

Post subject: Re: Docking a Getaway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your plan sounds perfect. I don't think you need to inhibit the mast swivel, but it probably won't hurt anything to do so. I'd use a loop of line to go around the shrouds about head height (might repurpose the spin sheet for that), then lead that back to the mainsheet. Put enough tension to keep the forestay/jib tight. Make sure you get a good furl on the jib and secure that like normal (really don't want that to come undone and flop around--if you have the snorkel, be a good time to use it). Spinnaker in the snuffer. Mainsail rolled on the deck and secured with a bungie--good to go.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II