Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solo Getaway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello. How hard is it to sail a Getaway solo?

I know there are other issues about not having a crew, so a couple of things....
I would be on north Texas lakes. If it the wind gets over 20 mph, that usually means it's storming and not a good idea to be on a lake anyway. My understanding is the boat is heavy and stable, so it shouldn't be an issue of going over and need me to right it.
Not real concerned about performance, so I won't tend to push it hard. Still faster than any boat I've had since the H16.
All places I would sail have boat ramps, and the boat I'm looking at has a trailer. I wrestled larger sailboats than this on and off trailers, but still wonder if it could be an issue.
I hear stepping the mast solo can be a pain. I stepped the mast of my 22 footer solo. Not fun, but not a problem either. Difference is a could pin it and walk it up, then used the halyard to hold it in place as I walked to the bow to connect the forestay. Did something similar with my H16, but it also pinned for stepping. Can I use a winch or some type of block and line to do the same, or does it slip off the ball too easy?
Anything I didn't think of?

The reason I ask is the Wave might be better, however I just found a Getaway for the same price and similar condition. The wings and front tramp would be fun for when I have passengers. Notice I did not say crew.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Solo Getaway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sailed my Getaway solo a lot. No issues keeping it on its feet either in winds to the mid teens. I did add a reef point for big winds but only used it once. Easy to step the mast with a trailer winch wit the Stepper III, takes 11 minutes; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE9cmSGmXcM&t=13s

Boat is really light enough to manhandle onto the trailer pretty easily. Can launch without getting wet feet usually.

I enjoyed my Getaway and sorta miss how quick it was to get out on the water from the parking lot-my current boat takes a lot longer. Boat has a top end around 15 kts. I fitted mine with a custom spinnaker flown off the front bar (3 different spins actually). That front tramp made a nice platform to keep the snuffer.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What's the highest wind that you have soloed in?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took it out solo in 18 kts or so, but I had a reef in. Boat was mannerly as I recall. Even flew spin on way home...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSmSYgy ... PxmzJLX8rX

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome, thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I solo all the time. I added reefing points for those gusty days. I have a mast stepper III to help me step the mast. And I weigh about 200# so I can right it solo too.
I have flown my spinnaker solo too, but that gets to be a bit much.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mostly sail my Getaway on Cedar Creek Lake in TX. Solo about 50% of the time. Never a problem if wind under 15 mph. Dicy above that and (at least for me), real trouble soloing over 20. Getting on and off the trailer is a breeze. I usually have someone help me step the mast but various ways to do it solo. I'm thinking about a mast stepper.

If still considering vs a wave, take the plunge on the Getaway. I upgraded from a Wave several years ago. Getaway so much more versatile and I think only marginally more challenging to set up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We ended up with a Getaway. Mast stepper just arrived, haven't tried it yet. Too much rain lately, but we did get a sail in on Lake Arlington last weekend before it hit.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b9GdxdhGsPtiL74Y7