Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a video where we were going pretty fast:

https://youtu.be/pQvEWF-fGDk

Here is one where we made a planned jibe, but still got tossed around a bit, thanks to big waves and high wind:

https://youtu.be/B7DQHW0SY9Q

As usual, I had trouble tacking in high wind/heavy seas. I either ended up in irons, or the waves would push the boat back onto the original heading. I ended up jibing most of my turns as a result. This was much easier, if more harrowing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What was the wind speed?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bthompson224 wrote:
What was the wind speed?

15MPH, gusting to 20ish.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tacking the Getaway in high winds and lumpy water is difficult. Technique that I used was to leave the jib on the original tack until the battens on the mainsail popped over onto the new tack, then bring the jib over. When that didn't work (and if a wave slaps you to stop the turn or you accidently kill the speed by using too much rudder), then I back down shift the rudder so the stern heads into the right direction, then complete the tack with the jib. I was always careful to tack far enough away from the shore, though, to do a 270 if I had to resort to that. Fun boat, but not an easy handling boat for tacks in bigger winds and lumpy seas.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I learned to tack on Hobie 17s, so the Getaway, with it's additional weight and jib, tacks easily by comparison. When I want to tack, I fall off a bit, get up some more speed, then smoothly drive it past irons. I usually try to overshoot a bit. Leave the jib back winded until the main pops over, reseat the crew, reset the jib, then head up to my desired heading.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is no way you are going to be able to tack if you release all the mainsail just before the tack. The mainsails helps you tuirn upwind, and the jib downwind. Actually you should pull the main ALL the way is as you are entering the tack, and then release it a couple of feet as you pass head-to-wind. Leave the jib backwinded so it helps you fall off in the new tack.
Using the sails I can tack in high winds even with the rudders up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boat will also sail a lot better and be easier to tack if you adjust the jib between tacks and trim for the given point of sail.

The OP has the jib pulled in to the centerline of the boat and isn't adjusting it at all (at least not in the videos). Sailing with the jib centered like that will cut off the slot and kill the efficiency of the mainsail, making it difficult to go upwind (which will make tacking more difficult) as well as kill the efficiency of the rig on a reach or when sailing downwind.

I'd suggest putting a couple telltails on the main and jib to help with fine tuning both sails. Trimming the jib properly will help improve the boat's all around performance.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all of the replies!

SRM is right, I was mostly leaving the jib unattended. I had a brand new crew, first time ever on a sailboat, and had my hands full with the tiller and the mainsheet. I normally bring my 12YO daughter as crew, and she is a bit more experienced, so tacking goes better with her on the jib sheets.

Both sails have telltales, I'm just learning to use them. I came from years of sailing monohull dinghies, which turn on a dime compared to this boat, but are also very slow in comparison.