Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do a lot of sail-camping in the Florida Keys with my Hobie Getaway. There's plenty of snorkeling and fishing stops throughout the day. It'd be really awesome if I could just furl the main anytime I dropped anchor. The furling jib is fantastic. I'd be ecstatic if the main operated similarly. Sure, I'll lose some performance without battens in the sail, but I don't use the Getaway as a performance craft. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Easier said than done. For a furling mainsail, you have to omit the forestay and side shrouds (ala Hobie Islands) which puts all the load on the mast base, which then requires a much larger, beefier mast and base. To keep the same Getaway Mast height and sailplan, you'd probably be looking a rather large size and weight increase in those parts.

It is possible to keep the stay and shrouds with some additional parts at the mast top, but the level of complexity then increases.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:58 am 
Site Admin

The other way if the way we did the 21 Sport Cruiser. Furls around a boom. That means you have to have a boom, back stay and a crank system to spin the boom. The boom was very high so reduced sail area as well.

Too complicated for what the Getaway is intended to be.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another way to accomplish this is to purchase a much larger mast section (heavier) where the sail furls internal to the mast. You see it on very large cruising boats. Don't think there would be very many who would want to do this. Mid cross beam probably isn't beefy enough anyway and you'd have to get rid of all the battens-so the sail would have to change to a pin top--loss of a lot of power. Lazy jacks could get you close to what you want (sail falls into a bag that you zip up)-but haven't seen lazy jacks on a boomless boat with no spreaders; but I suspect you can get there with some ingenuity.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I often leave my Hobie parked on a mooring for an hour or two when I come in for lunch. I just drop the main and bungy it to the tramp.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's kind of a pain, but usually when i beach my boat or anchor, I drop both the main and the jib (Hobie 16) and throw the main sheet around them to secure them to the tramp. I have quick pins on the tack of the jib as well as the boom shackle for this reason. Even if you boat is positioned to weather vane into the wind sometimes a shift can catch some sail shape and off your boat goes.

Dropping the main and securing it to the tramp is the best course of action in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the hobie 21 sport cruiser. Steve C.
https://youtu.be/VIqAhV_ZEHA