Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: getaway mast stepper
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered the stepper October 1, and learned last week that it's still back ordered. Has anyone received one, and can comment on how it really does work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:04 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We've had some on backorder for as long as there has been a part number to put on back order. So no one has it yet, it will work just as the other steppers for other boats. You would rather it take a bit longer to get than have it only to realize there a small problem

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: Getaway Mast Stepper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, can you update your "expect September" shipping estimate please?
Tks,
Bill Watson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well it was 60 out today and it made me think that spring will be here before we know it. Will the new mast raising system allow me to enjoy this spring, or will I be bitter? Matt?

Post subject: Mast stepper III
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Mast stepper III

We have shipped a few units. The factory has been slow to complete this project. I expect the log jam to clear soon.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great news!! Thanks for the reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can you guys report on how well it works?

I've tried many ways to raise the Getaway mast using a winch and without someone holding the mast sideways, but all I have to show for it is a broken mast base casting. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope to see my system next week. If I get it , I will install it and test it next week end. I will post a review and most likely pictures.

Post subject: While we wait.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any inexpensive winch will work to get the mast up and down with two people. I rely almost totally on the kindness of strangers. I have never had a problem getting someone to turn the crank. I lift the mast the first 2-3 feet and then the winch takes over all the lifting. I just hold it side ways. Lowering is the reverse I hold the mast sideways, the winch provides all the lowering power, and I take over the last 2-3 feet. Controlling for side to side mast sway takes a modest amount of effort but much less than raising and lowering with no mechanical help. I don't want to be responsible for any busted mast bases, but I can raise it with a winch without holding the mast sideways. The mast base just binds and potentially breaks on the way down, if you don't keep it sideways. I have safety lines, the trap wires with a few more feet of rope tied off to the front cross bar, but I no longer bother rigging them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a total newbie, so this is probably a dumb question but:

Bob123, is your winch attached to the mast stand on your trailer?
We just bought a Getaway in October. I had thought about simply attaching a winch to the mast stand, but was wondering about the stress on the weld that attaches the stand to the trailer. Would hoisting the mast be too much lateral stress to that weld joint?
Also, where on the mast do you attach the line coming from the winch?

We've only had the boat out twice and I've already dropped the damned mast once from about shoulder height...just lost my grip on it. Banged it up pretty good. That traumatized me enough to start looking into a mast raising system but it all goes back to my concerns about the strength of my mast stand-to-trailer weld.

Thanks for any input/advice you can give.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What kind of trailer do you have??? The galvanized trailers are pretty strong, aluminum wields can be a bit tricky. I have used both and never had a problem pulling heavy daysailers ( 1500 lbs. ). If you try it and it seems a bit dicey, reinforcing it would not be hard at all. I don't think it will be a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dolfnfan,

We're new also, having purchased our Getaway last June. We have the galvanized trailer. I use an electric winch mounted on the bracket that has the front cross member stop to raise the mast as Bob123 has described. I put an eye bolt through the top of the mast crutch to raise the pulling point, and lift the mast about sholder height while standing on the tramp. From there, I only have to keep it sideways as I use the trap wires to keep it from moving side to side. Relative you your question of the strength of the weld at the base of the mast crutch, the front cross member of the boat should be against the stop on the crutch and the forward pull of the mast is transmitted through the front cross member into the crutch and counter acts the pull of the winch. Unless you don't have a stop, there is little stress on the weld. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Dick,
I ordered the mast system and expect it shortly. What electric winch did you go with? I am looking for one that does not cost an arm and a leg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi pejnielsen

I found an inexpensive one at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92860

I wired the control with a 4 prong male plug and mounted the mating female plug in an electrical outlet box mounted to the mast crutch. The outlet on the crutch is connected to the winch and battery that is inside a battery box just back of the crutch on the tounge of the trailer. This way I can remove the control and no one can mess with the winch. I use a battery maintainer to keep the battery topped off. Works well. I can send pic's if you'd like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can you post some pictures, please. I'm not sure I can visualize it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next