Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Broken shroud
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hyoung wrote:
2. I did not like passing the tiller behind the mainsheet while tacking, so installed a second tiller, both of which are extendable. Each tiller rests in a custom plastic cradle attached to the crossbar when not in use (on the lee side).

Very interested in this: Do you have any pictures of this setup? How about a parts list?

TIA,

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hyoung wrote:
MChristo: When stepping the mast, I leave slack in the port side stay which makes it easy to pin the forestay. Then I have the lovely and talented crew come over to the port side and pull down on the hiking wire while I take up the slack in the port shroud adjuster. This gets the rig pretty tight and its easier than trying to tighten at the forestay while you are holding up the furler and bridle.

As noted above in this thread, checking the standing rigging very carefully at the start of the season is a good way to go. Look for corrosion and stray/broken pieces of shroud at each end where they exit the compression swags. Because I sail in salt water, I change the standing rigging a bit more often.

So it sounds like I want to get the rigging fairly tight. I have not had it tight. Luckily I’m on a smallish lake with very limited chop. I”ll tighten it up the way you describe which definitely sounds better than the way I’ve been doing it at the forestay.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So it sounds like I want to get the rigging fairly tight. I have not had it tight. Luckily I’m on a smallish lake with very limited chop. I”ll tighten it up the way you describe which definitely sounds better than the way I’ve been doing it at the forestay.
Thank you![/quote]

How tight do you really need it? The boat is never going to be stiff being plastic with aluminum crossbeams. I hated fiddling with the shrouds at each mast raising as well as those tiny rings. So I just left them attached. I also permanently attached the forestay to the furler at the appropriate hole. So when I raised the mast, I attached the furler to the bridle using the clevis pins and used hitch pins instead of those tiny rings.

When sailing upwind in a normal for you breeze, look at how much slack is in the leeward shroud. Use a different shroud hole (assuming one is available) next time out if you think the shroud is too loose. I did have mine bottomed on one side, one up from bottom on the other (shrouds were a little different length).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
When sailing upwind in a normal for you breeze, look at how much slack is in the leeward shroud. Use a different shroud hole (assuming one is available) next time out if you think the shroud is too loose.

I use this same technique for tightening my rigging because it is usually rough where I sail. But, even with a 200+ person pulling on the trap lines and getting the rigging good and tight on land, the leeward shroud will still be very loose if you sail with good wind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

KBlake wrote:
Hyoung wrote:
2. I did not like passing the tiller behind the mainsheet while tacking, so installed a second tiller, both of which are extendable. Each tiller rests in a custom plastic cradle attached to the crossbar when not in use (on the lee side).

Very interested in this: Do you have any pictures of this setup? How about a parts list?

TIA,

Ken

Ken, I PM'd you since I can't post photos here. Happy to assist.