Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been sailing maybe 8 times on my new getaway (2020?) on Lake Michigan. All good except one time my mast came down -- https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66987

I currently have the side shrouds on the bottom hole. I have the forestay on the 3rd hole up. There is still a lot of slack on the rigging, which I've heard isn't good. It also means that the rigging clanks around a lot and the mast sways a lot when I am in waves. It just doesn't feel right.

Here is a link to a short video I took of the boat with the mast raised in the driveway. https://photos.app.goo.gl/wyvzKVGCptcBe4aw9

Can someone who is more experienced with getaway take a look at see if that is normal?

I take the mast down every time since I have to trailer the boat to the beach, on the waiting list to get a spot at the beach but it's long. :(

Thanks!
Sean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's really loose! I'm not sure where my shrouds are pinned, but if you're all the way down on the side, and nearly down on the front, maybe your tang was installed wrong? Since it's new, I'd take it to the dealer as a warranty issue.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are they supposed to be completely taut if the boat is sitting in the driveway like that?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was able to get it a tighter using this technique -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733z8c7EUJ8 - being able to use the jib sheet to pull it in tight and cleat it helped me a lot. I am messing around with this in my driveway right now by myself, but when I've actually been sailing I've had someone inexperienced putting connecting the furler to the jib clew while I hold the mast up.

It does seem to have gotten looser since I brought it home, not sure if that is normal. I am currently connecting it to the 3rd hole from the top of the jib clew. When I first got it on the water I was connecting the jib clew on the 3rd hole from the bottom, and had the side shrouds connected looser as well (they are now on the lowest possible hole)

I do have a question about the tang --
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kVLrKstsqttY8zMN6

There are three holes, and everything is connected in the bottom hole right now, what is the purpose of the other holes are, or what the ratioanale is for connecting everything at the lowest hole.

Thanks!
Sean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

seanharper wrote:
Are they supposed to be completely taut if the boat is sitting in the driveway like that?

Mine are. When I step the mast, I have to use the winch to pull the forestay down so I can pin the bridles to the furler.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm with you seanharper on the loose rigging. Here is a question for someone. As we play around with the shroud settings you still want to maintain the proper rake of the mast, not that it gets to out of wack. Anyone know how many degrees back it should be or how to measure it for that matter? Steve C.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

seanharper wrote:

I do have a question about the tang --
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kVLrKstsqttY8zMN6

There are three holes, and everything is connected in the bottom hole right now, what is the purpose of the other holes are, or what the ratioanale is for connecting everything at the lowest hole.

Thanks!
Sean

You have it connected correctly. The hound (that's what that thing is called) is designed so the pop rivets are aligned with forestay forces. I suspect the other holes are just to reduce weight or it is used on other boats which may not have a rotating mast. I made use of the top hole to put a spinnaker on the boat without having to add another hound.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve C wrote:
I'm with you seanharper on the loose rigging. Here is a question for someone. As we play around with the shroud settings you still want to maintain the proper rake of the mast, not that it gets to out of wack. Anyone know how many degrees back it should be or how to measure it for that matter? Steve C.

How many degrees back it should be depends on a few things. What you should want is for the boat to turn slightly into the wind when you let go the tiller on a course to head upwind. A good thumb rule is the boat will hold course for 5 mississippis before you have to grab the tiller to fall off the wind. Adding mast rake (more degrees back) reduces the time before you have to take action after letting go of the helm. The limit is reached, however, when you rake it so far back that your mainsheet is two blocked (no more adjustment) and in bigger winds, that can be a problem. Typically for boats with decent sails (oh, yah, as your sails age you have to change mast rake since your camber moves aft in both sails); you end up with the shrouds in their lowest hole and forestay tight. Be cautious, though, when you make these tests (how many mississippis) the number of people on the boat (and where they are), the amount of wind there is and whether or not your rudder is completely down--will make a difference. Sailing is fun, right?

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I pin the side shrouds 3 holes down from the top before raising the mast. My daughter pins the forestay leaving two holes at the top. We then use the main halyard to rake the mast and re-pin the shrouds to 4 holes down on each side. This results in decent tension on the rig, and the boat sails well.