Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In sloppy seas the rear beam bangs around within the hull housing. Is this usual... I think not! Has anyone else experienced this and what's the fix? i have a brand new getaway and wasn't expecting this sort of problem to happen so soon. By the way the main tram is already as tight as it could be

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geez. Did your dealer do nothing? Have you had it back for the other problems? Warranty issue.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So for sure the aft beam should not move? I thought it might be a tolerance thing within the manufacturing process of the hulls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So for sure the aft beam should not move? I thought it might be a tolerance thing within the manufacturing process of the hulls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It shouldn't clunk around back there. You might want to check the black line cord that holds the tramp back edge rod to the aft beam. The line may have worked itself loose (new line stretches for a while).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK thanks, will check that too when I'm next down at the boat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just an update...
I tightened all lines with the help of the technician that the supplier kindly sent to me. The problem still persists.
I've taken photos and video as requested by the suppliers who are now putting in a warranty claim.
Hobie has replied stating they think that the trampoline is too slack and have asked for more pictures.
These have now been taken and sent to the suppliers along with another video. I also reminded them that their technician tightened everything up; the trampoline is drum tight. The problem only occurs in the port side rear beam, all other connections to the hulls are tight, as indeed they are on 3 other Getaways at our club.
I'm now awaiting a response.
Here's a video showing the amount of movement between the rear beam and the port hull.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, that's not right.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

The beam is not fully seated on the inboard side. That would be due to tramp tension typically, so check the stop plate... should be in contact with the hull when the tramp is tensioned.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The stop plate is firmly up against the hull. Thank you for the suggestion all the same.
The trampoline is tight, the beam is inserted into the hull right up to the stop plate.
Any other ideas welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:59 am 
Site Admin

When the rig is up and tensioned it also adds to the structural stiffness. Wave and Getaways do have a bit of play in the sleeves. How are you manipulation the crossbar to get that motion? Wobbling the hull? Working the wing?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The movement shown here is when I push down on the wing connected to the rear beam. This movement also happens in waves when sailing. I can both hear the beam banging inside the sleeve and see it moving. This was how I discovered the issue. While I can understand a small amount of movement this phenomenon seems like it will lead to further damage if it is not fixed. The bang in the sleeve cannot be good for the integrity of the hull long term. I've checked the other Getaways in our club and it does not happen with them. Nor does it happen in any of the other 3 locations where the beams slot into the hull sleeves.
Thank you again for your input on this.
Cheers
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know it is a pain in the arse, but I suggest you disassemble the boat and inspect inside the hole as well as the end of the beam. You would be looking for a defect in manufacture (blob of material) or a foreign object. You are absolutely correct, that movement will eventually cause a problem with that hull that might show up as a crack eventually.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
I know it is a pain in the arse, but I suggest you disassemble the boat and inspect inside the hole as well as the end of the beam. You would be looking for a defect in manufacture (blob of material) or a foreign object. You are absolutely correct, that movement will eventually cause a problem with that hull that might show up as a crack eventually.

Thank you for the advice. The suppliers have already submitted paperwork, pictures and videos to Hobie so awaiting Hobie's official response, beyond their initial advice to check the trampoline tension.