Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, in the market for my first hobie. Found a used getaway a couple states over(impossible to find one closer). Boat looks to be in good condition but seller states that one hull is a 2014 and one is a 2004. Which means one was damaged and replaced. Don’t think it’s a big deal but raises concerns that I would appreciate y’all’s experienced opinion on:
1. I know the getaway rudder system changed somewhat around 2004, and the hull design changed in 2017. Is it safe to assume both hulls are the same from 2004-2014? Should I worry about the rudder system?
2. Assuming it was crashed which caused the need for the replacement, should I be worried about anything else, bent crossbars, frame etc?(seller states he bought it that way used so didn’t know why the hulls don’t match)
3. He’s asking $5500 which is on par for everything else in the market, but is it too much for mismatched hulls?
4. Am I overthinking or not thinking enough on this? Lol

Being that the boat is 8+ hours away, I will likely have my brother who lives in that area go to check it out and buy it on my behalf(he knows less than me unfortunately) but it would save me the 16+hour round trip since he’ll be traveling down to me in a few weeks and bring it down. This will be my first sailboat and have very limited knowledge on the subject, any input would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How long was it sailed with the newer hull? If it was sailed more than a year, you probably don't have much to worry about. If it was recently added, that'd be more of a concern.

First sailboat? Dunno if I'd want to learn how to sail on a getaway. Do you have someone to teach you and literally show you the ropes?

5500 is a lot for a 16 year old boat when you can buy new for twice that much. How are the mast, sails and trampoline? Does it have wings? Outboard motor? Without knowing what you are looking for, you are likely going to get taken advantage of. Is there another sailor local to the boat that you trust to go look at it?

Not to be discouraging since the Getaway is a great boat, I suggest you learn to sail and get to know some sailors (sail on their boats). Then start looking for a boat for you and your family.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for input tpdavis!
Seller says the hull was added in 2014 and has sailed it since then with no problems. The sail, tramps and mast look to be in good condition(from photos), it does have the wings but not a motor. Plan on rigging up a trolling motor as I live on a large lake but back in a tight cove that would definitely require power to get in and out of safely. I have a buddy with a getaway and a neighbor who sails so I’m planning on relying on them to teach me the ropes. I’ve sailed a handful of times in the past as a kid so know the fundamentals but certainly not enough to be comfortable solo for awhile.
TBH, I agree jumping into a hobie for my first sailboat is not the smartest plan but I’m a younger guy with no family who’s always looking for the next toy. I might end up buying new, and you make a good point about year vs. value. Just frustrating how few the options are around me.

Brother is going to check it out tomorrow and FaceTime me so I can get a better idea of condition/value

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for input tpdavis!
Seller says the hull was added in 2014 and has sailed it since then with no problems. The sail, tramps and mast look to be in good condition(from photos), it does have the wings but not a motor. Plan on rigging up a trolling motor as I live on a large lake but back in a tight cove that would definitely require power to get in and out of safely. I have a buddy with a getaway and a neighbor who sails so I’m planning on relying on them to teach me the ropes. I’ve sailed a handful of times in the past as a kid so know the fundamentals but certainly not enough to be comfortable solo for awhile.
TBH, I agree jumping into a hobie for my first sailboat is not the smartest plan but I’m a younger guy with no family who’s always looking for the next toy. I might end up buying new, and you make a good point about year vs. value. Just frustrating how few the options are around me.

Brother is going to check it out tomorrow and FaceTime me so I can get a better idea of condition/value

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Getaway is a great boat to start on, and for a family. I started with the Hobie 17 when my kids were young, did not know I was buying a solo racer. We outgrew it pretty quickly. When I soloed it though, what a rocket! The Getaway is tamer and easier to sail. That said, it does have some sailing chops. I was sailing with a couple of friends on their H16s on a big lake in some big wind, and we were all doing about 20 MPH together. But the room the Getaway has is amazing, you can pile on a ton of people and kids and still sail well. The Getaway also has easier and simpler rigging than the racer Hobies.

$5500 seems a tad high to me, unless the sails and tramps are newer than the original hull, or they are in really great condition. Especially this time of year, sailboats aren't exactly moving this late in the season. I'd try to negotiate it down some. Where do you live? There might be a closer boat. Where is the boat at? Maybe someone on the forum lives close to it who could take a look at it.

For learning to sail a cat, and especially for a family boat, the Getaway is a great choice. It's stable, hard to capsize, lots of room for the kids. My friend with a H16 sailed my Getaway for the first time a few weeks ago, and he loves it, so that speaks well of it's sailing ability. He was especially taken with the easy helm balance, the lack of weather helm in 25 MPH winds.

Here's a link to instructions to build a motor mount. I had bought the Cheata mount for my Getaway, but replaced it with this one. It's a heck of a lot cheaper and a heck of a lot better than the Cheata mount. https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... otor+mount

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The parts that will need replacing in a boat that old (and a Hobie) are likely to be (in order of likelihood)
1. Jib
2. Main trampoline
3. mainsail
4. front trampoline
5. mast (because of the comp tip)

You should expect to have to get a new halyard and jib sheets.

Inspection points:
Beams where they enter the hulls--sometimes they have cracks due to rotomold plastic aging. Walk away if you see cracks.
Rudder articulation and "true-ness" of the rudder blades-walk away if rudders are bent
Skegs; check for dents and bends-walk away if either
Mast base-simple repair if cracked
Comp tip-check that it doesn't come free with a tug; look for cracking--walk away if it is loose or cracked.

Seriously, suggest you get a new boat instead unless you can get this one for under 4K.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dorienc wrote:
The Getaway is a great boat to start on, and for a family. I started with the Hobie 17 when my kids were young, did not know I was buying a solo racer. We outgrew it pretty quickly. When I soloed it though, what a rocket! The Getaway is tamer and easier to sail. That said, it does have some sailing chops. I was sailing with a couple of friends on their H16s on a big lake in some big wind, and we were all doing about 20 MPH together. But the room the Getaway has is amazing, you can pile on a ton of people and kids and still sail well. The Getaway also has easier and simpler rigging than the racer Hobies.

$5500 seems a tad high to me, unless the sails and tramps are newer than the original hull, or they are in really great condition. Especially this time of year, sailboats aren't exactly moving this late in the season. I'd try to negotiate it down some. Where do you live? There might be a closer boat. Where is the boat at? Maybe someone on the forum lives close to it who could take a look at it.

For learning to sail a cat, and especially for a family boat, the Getaway is a great choice. It's stable, hard to capsize, lots of room for the kids. My friend with a H16 sailed my Getaway for the first time a few weeks ago, and he loves it, so that speaks well of it's sailing ability. He was especially taken with the easy helm balance, the lack of weather helm in 25 MPH winds.

Here's a link to instructions to build a motor mount. I had bought the Cheata mount for my Getaway, but replaced it with this one. It's a heck of a lot cheaper and a heck of a lot better than the Cheata mount. https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... otor+mount

Thanks Dorienc, had my brother facetime me and check it out yesterday. looked to be in fair condition for its age but agree it doesn't make sense to spend so much on a 17 year old boat. Just gonna try to be patient and see if anything else comes available, if not by end of winter ill just probably buy new.

Im in south carolina, if anybody has or knows someone interested in selling a getaway I would greatly appreciate the lead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The getaway is a great beginner boat. Buying new gives you a few advantages: better hull shape, improved design/easier to sail and that sweet feeling you get handling new crisp sails. Plus buying new supports hobie and brings one more boat into existence. Ultimately we can't all buy used boats, and the more new boats we buy the more used boats there will be to sail against.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

True, the new Getaway (post 2017) is supposed to be faster than the earlier one. And it's very pretty! I'm not ready to sell my 2012 for one quite yet though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This guy has been advertising boats and equipment for some years. He replaces some of his rental boats every year.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67547

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For what it's worth -- I looked at about 5 Getaways several years ago before settling on a 2005 w/ the boat in very good shape but the sails, and soon the tramp needing replacement. Conditions may be different now and where you are, but from what you have said, based on the boats I saw, I think that 2004 should be maybe $2.5K to $3K with a good trailer? Especially in November to February!

I also learned its probably better to buy one a little newer if the sails and tramp are in very good shape, for more money, as replacement is $$$.

Also consider if you will be driving it long distances, if so, you need a very good trailer, not an old rust bucket...