Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Getaway and will be storing it on a Minnesota lake beach. It is a gradual incline beach with approximately 6 inches (deep) of sand.

Any good ideas for moving it 10-15 feet up the beach and onto grass with only one person (I'm about 6'4" and 240 lbs.).

How well do the beach wheels work. Can I move the boat relatively easily w/ only 1 person using beach wheels? Which model do you recommend? How easily do the wheels attach to the trailor? How do you mount them to the trailor? Anyone selling them used?

Thanks, Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Doug,

Once you get the boat on the wheels the move although difficult can probably be done by you alone although an extra back would be helpful. Getting it on the wheels can be a little more challenging and with any surge in the water where you launch almost impossible in my experience.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doug:

You MUST have cradles are the boat will roll off the wheels. Put the wheels under front. Grab the bridle and push axle with foot.. When they get close to middle grab mast or dolphin striker (Getaway have one). Move as quick as possible and tie ropes to side stays. If air is low in tires, soft sand should not be a problem.

Just my 2 cents,

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Doug,

The problem I have with the getaway is that there is a forward tramp so pushing the wheels down the middle of the boat is difficult and if you try to push from the side the other side comes out. I have had my best luck solo by pushing the boat out into the water and pushing the wheels under the bows and pulling the boat onto the wheels. If we have any swells my vocabulary seems to expand.

The original post asks about storing the wheels on the trailer mine rest on the trailer frame and I tie them off with a ratchet strap.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Craig:

I have cradles on mine. I turn them with cradles down and lay them on hulls right in front of the front crossbar. I have bowlines tied in the lines used to pull the wheels around. I have a C like clamp outside of the front rollers on each side. I run the line through the C them through the bowline. Take up the slack and and cinch tight thrn put half hitches on them.

Make since?

Doug