Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On Sailing Anarchy someone is claiming that the new Getaway moulds are failing to deliver good parts. Any truth to this rumor is the guy making this stuff up?

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It appears the guy on SA was correct. Hobie is "retooling" for 2021 Getaways after some production issues. Those of you with 2017 to current Getaway's might want to discuss with your distributors (assuming you haven't already experienced the production issues).

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2019 Getaway. What is the issue that I should be watching for? I looked at sailing anarchy, but wasn't able to find the answer there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no idea. Ashus, though, is getting a banging of a beam in his port float. Don't know if it is related, though.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doubtful that there is anything wrong with any Getaway hull that Hobie has shipped. If a part is bad out of the mold, they aren't going to use it on a boat. So yours are almost certain to be fine.

Anyone not familiar with the roto-molding process may not understand that it can be a bit tricky to produce good parts every time out. I remember my visits to the Wilderness Systems plant here in town and how issues arose due to cooling times and eventually, worn and/or distorted molds. I believe the latter is the issue that Matt Miller spoke of in a related post a few weeks ago regarding the Getaway molds.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
On Sailing Anarchy someone is claiming that the new Getaway moulds are failing to deliver good parts. Any truth to this rumor is the guy making this stuff up?

I don't state rumors nor make stuff up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, you are also the same guy that claims his 16.5 foot trimaran went over 20 kts where NO ONE IN THE WORLD has had a non foiling trimaran go faster in kts than length in feet...so you understand my skepticism about another unsupported claim.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I produced the speed as provided by the Velocitek Speed Puck set for best 10 second average. I don't make things up.

New modern hull designs have made a mockery of the old theoretical hull length speed limit. Plenty of Modern trimarans can exceed speeds in excess of their length in feet. The Diam 24, a 24 footer that is essentially just a longer version of the Astus 16.5 (same VPLP hulls) has been recorded at 27.

Even the Weta, at only 14 feet in length, can easily get into the upper teens and even a bit past 20 when driven by a good sailor.

The guys that can't go fast aren't the ones that are actually out there sailing... they're the ones that spend their time on internet sailing forums spouting theories and telling everybody else what they can or can't do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, if you would post those gps tracks there might be some reason to believe such an outrageous claim. As I said before, NO ONE IN THE WORLD has sailed a non foiling trimaran faster in knots than its length in feet--except your claim to have done so (Diam 24s don't go faster than 22). SO, I call Bullsh*t. And remind me, just how many races have you won against others in competition? Weta? Windrider? Astus? What are your accomplishments on the water besides your unsupported claims? Before you ask, I've won the single handed Farralones against 50 other competitors-starting last and finishing first. I've done other races, some won, some not. But at least I compete and not just bloviate.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So you're saying that a 14 foot Weta can't exceed 14 knots? Hell, Dave Bernstein and crew did over 19 knots in a Weta at the Columbia locks a half decade ago. And that's just one example. The old hull length speed limit was broken years ago with more modern hull designs and sail plans. Even your Searail 19 will do more than 19 knots (maybe not with you at the helm...)

The only small beachcat I've found to be a match against the Astus 16.5 is the Hobie Fox20. From our experience on the water against each other, they seem to be about even up.

But rather than muddy up this wonderful Hobie forum with another argument against the "6 knot paper sailor," I'll leave it alone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My tracker has recorded a modest 31 km/h which equates to 16.7 knots so far.However have had rudder issues as they pop up at speed. I think I've sorted it and will post later on new speeds if achieved and a very simple fix for the problem of lifting rudders.