Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used Getaway Sails
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a volunteer with the Youth Sailing Foundation in Vero Beach, FL - on the east coast about 130 miles north of Miami. We're a 501c3 non-profit organization. (http://www.ysf.org)

We recently received a 2011 Getaway in donation but it came to us without sails and as such we're unable to use it and a new set of sails is beyond our budget.

I'm seeking help in finding a used set of "serviceable" Getaway sails that our group could purchase. We aren't concerned about performance, as we'll be using the boat primarily for activities in summer camps and possibly our adult sailing programs. But we do want decent sails without rips/major chafe, complete with battens. I know - a tall order.

If you have sails or know of someone I could contact to find these sails, your help is greatly appreciated. Ideally, it would be great to find a set of sails within 150 miles of Vero Beach so I could pick them up rather than the seller having to deal with shipping.

Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Rick

Post subject: Re: Used Getaway Sails
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's a Miami Getaway rental place that advertises in the For Sale thread on this forum. They sell sails and other stuff.
Also, on Ebay, there is a guy selling new Getaway sails for $525. They are one color, and use a grommet instead of the multiple hole foot on the real Getaway, but they are cheap.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for these suggestions, I appreciate you. I've already tried the rental place in Miami with no luck. He's got a good price on new OEM sails, but that's all he could do for me. I couldn't find the ebay seller of new Getaway sails for $525. If you come across them again, could you alert me or send me their seller id?
The search continues and I'm confident eventually I'll get there. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has your organization received any donations of heavy duty sewing machines? It is not that difficult to manufacture sails and could be a learning experience for the summer activities. Jibs can be made in about 16 hours, mainsails take longer to make but less than a week. You don't need grommets and can use webbing straps instead. "official" battens are not needed but you can use pultruded expoxy rods from tap plastic.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, don't be fussy about made for the Getaway sails. Any used sails that would fit could be made to work. Try
https://www.secondwindsails.com/

You want to match the luff length, leach length and foot length for the sails. So you do need the dimensions from the stock sails. The ratio of leach to foot is important if you want the sail to sheet well. So, if you find a sail with a little shorter luff, check to see if the ratio of foot to leach is close to the same as the stock.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RickN, here's the listing. It's ended now. You could try contacting them, I messaged them about making me a cutdown mainsail for heavy weather and they gave me a phone number.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Green-Hobi ... 7675.l2557

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
Also, don't be fussy about made for the Getaway sails. Any used sails that would fit could be made to work. Try
https://www.secondwindsails.com/

This is brilliant! I had no idea such a place existed.
So, I had North Sails add reefing points to my Getaway mainsail. Works ok. But then I thought, why not get a cutaway mainsail for it, since I'm sailing on inland lakes, and a high wind day tends to be a high wind day all day. But the cost to buy and cut down a perfectly good Getaway mainsail, plus the sail shape change that TP mentioned on another thread, stopped me.
So I've been looking for a used Wave mainsail and just use that. But this site is perfect! For a couple of hundred bucks, I can experiment with a smaller sail!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You know what a pita it is to reef the Getaway while underway. Since the halyard locks at the top of the mast, you have to lower the mainsail far enough that you can put an extension on the halyard....I can't improve on that unfortunately unless you take the risk of just lowering and cleating at the mast base (adds compression force). BUT, That floppy mainsail clew that you have to unhook from the mainsheet and then reattach up higher, that I can help with. On my SeaRail (same boomless setup), I added a camcleat with fairlead at the clew of the mainsail and then tied a line from the reefing point. to bring the leach down, just pull down the line through the camcleat, never have to release the mainsheet. Almost a bra--stops em from floppen.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thom, that's a great system. I just had a grommet added at the clew that I tie a loop of line through, and hook the mainsheet S hook through that. The plate gets rolled up when I reef.

I thought about making a halyard with and extended metal cable, with a second button swagged on in the reefed position, but since I only reef on shore, it's easy to add the halyard extension.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Y'know, it wouldn't take much to modify the Getaway mast to allow a normal halyard to be cleated on the mast at the bottom. If you just put a shackle at the top of the mast and fix one end of the halyard there, then route down to the mainsail (use another shackle or a ronstan shock), then route up to the sheave and back down to the mast base. Basically you are 2:1 the halyard which cuts the compressive force on the mast. Not as much as with the hook, but sure is better than dealing with the hook for me anyway. That's how my current SeaRail mast is set up. I use uncovered 3/16" dyneema as the halyard so it still only costs about the same as a Hobie halyard but weighs half as much, doesn't absorb water and doesn't have the wire pigtail which is a throwback to last century (as are the wire shrouds).

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II