Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm posting this in the Getaway forum because that's what I have, but it applies to all Torqeedo owners.

I have a 2012 Torqeedo 1003, with a 530 wh battery dated at 2011. There is a safety recall on some of the batteries, go to the Torqeedo site to check if it applies to yours. I took mine in for inspection, which it passed. BUT, they told me that if I run my motor above 500W, the battery will cut out and shut off the system. This actually happened to me the last time I sailed it in October, but I didn't put 2+2 together. This is, they told me, normal because at 10 years, the battery has reached the end of it's lifespan.

Now, I charge the battery normally 2, maybe 3 times in a season. I only use it for a few minutes at a time, to get away from and into the crappy dock I launch from. I figured the battery would last forever. But no, 8 to 10 years is all you can expect, no matter how often or seldom you charge it. Mine you, this battery cost $699. So, that's effectively an annual fuel cost of $70. I guess that's ok.

Now, Torqeedo is offering a trade-in deal on their bigger, 915 wh battery. They will give me (and you, too, I guess), a percentage of the battery cost for trade in on their $999 915 battery. For a 2011, they will give me 40% of the retail cost of my 530. So, it'll cost me about $720 for a brand new 915 wh battery. 70% more range than I had, and resetting the battery life. So, of course I'm doing it.

Also, Torqeedo now has this cool bluetooth dongle that connects to the motor, and bluetooth to your phone, so you can check power, charge, range, speed, and NAVIGATION!! on your phone. $149. Yup, I'm getting that too.

So, on the one hand, I'm disappointed that the Lithium battery doesn't last forever. But thanks to Torqeedo for taking some of the sting out of replacing it.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that, Bob. eBike owners have the same issue although a normal bike battery only lasts about 4-5 years (at least that's what I've gotten). The good news (for eBikes) is that once you have two battery packs, you can send one off to get rebuilt while you squeeze the last few ergs from the one you are using. I suspect torqueedo battery packs look the same inside as a eBike battery, but it is likely that the case is better sealed against water intrusion. https://www.hicbattery.com/EBike-Batter ... _c_17.html
The link is to one of the battery rebuilders (there are others). Cost is about the same as a new battery, though. Issue is that for eBikes, there just aren't a lot of replacement batteries since eBike companies don't keep parts for older models. I suspect that Torqueedo is finding it simpler to offer you a discount so they get the case back for rebuilding rather than having new cases manufactured (since there are likely to be thousands required for a replacement manufacturing run).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II