Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Capsize experience
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Over the last 18 months I've sailed my Getaway in some pretty strong winds... force 5 to 6. I've buried the bows at speed a few times going downwind without capsize. Just a full stop followed by the bows popping back up again. The reverse bow shape seems to be much more forgiving and indeed faster than the old design when sailing one on one.
However last week I did capsize after such an event driving hard down wind. The difference being I had not removed the front trampoline.
I think the front trampoline is helpful in adding stiffness to the catamaran platform and so improve performance but it can come at a cost if the bows are buried.
Righting the boat was easy, even with a light weight crew (120kg total).
What a great boat this is.
One of my favorites

Post subject: Re: Capsize experience
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very new to Hobie sailing. Bought a cat last week. Sailed it in mostly light winds, but managed to capsize it unexpectedly when on a broad reach trying to get back to the dock.

I wasn't able to right it by myself (about 180 lbs). However, I was close to the dock, and had a family member in a canoe lift the mast out of the water. That little "head start" was enough and was able to right it. Probably around 7-8kts of wind when righting.

Good memories were made.

Post subject: Re: Capsize experience
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been enjoying sailing a 2006 Getaway solo for two seasons now. This boat has been my introduction to cat sailing which is radically different to my ocean racing experience.

A few things that have worked for me.

After I have capsized, I:

-furl the jib
-leave the main hooked, but play out the main sheet and release the traveller

I have seen other advise that suggests you unhook the main S hook. Do not. I was making this mistake and what will happen is that the main will fold backwards around the shrouds and simply become a wall that will spin the boat in the wind, when you start to lift.

Where to attach the righting line for solo righting?

I have found that attaching to the forward spar in the middle beneath the forestay. Roll it up and tuck it into the tramp lacing for stowing. Then in the event of a capsize, you can easily reach it, feed it through lacing closest to the skyward hull (stops it slipping off the hull easily). Then throw the righting line over the hull. This allows you to stand on the bow in the water and naturally turn the boat into the wind.

Tips on fixing the cams when they are stuck down.
- I take the main sheet and make a loop, putting the loop around the bottom of the cam, then draw both sides of the rope up around the the tiller arm and loop around the end. Grab the ropes together and lift the tiller arm. It will act as a lever and the main sheet like a sling pulling the cams up to unlock them.

I cannot recommend Joe Bennett's JoyriderTV channel on YouTube enough. He is a great resource for cat sailors.