Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just sold my Hobie 17. Wife didn't like the fire-hose in the face and was not comfortable. I didn't like the fact that the H17 is primarily a single person sailor.
Wify suffers arthritis and I gotta think of her if I want her to sail with me. I am toying with the idea of buying a mono-hull dingy so that she would be more comfortable and have a drier ride. However, my true love is really a Getaway. There must be lots of folks out there who sail with plenty of MSI problems. Give me some advice people? I have no experience with mono-hulled dingy's.

Thanks in advance.

Bob....east of Toronto, Ontario

Post subject: Wings
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bob,

The wing seats make a huge difference in the wet factor. It makes the getaway experience similar to other monohulls with open cockpits (except that your legs get wet).

- John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As I said in another thread, you have to get into a comparatively larger monohull to ensure dryness. Small sloops are very tippy, and I can't believe that would be very comfortable for your wife. I think you would probably have to get into the 18' range on a sloop to guarantee dryness in the cockpit, and anthing smaller heels quickly. The 16' 7" Getaway can be sailed almost perfectly flat in winds up to 15 knots. The bows cut through the water, so there's very little spray. If you're sitting on the tramp, it can get wet, but sitting on the wing seats is quite dry. I often have to purposefully get wet to stay cool in the Texas heat. See if you can get a test sail. Sloops are more expensive per foot that cats too. Good luck, and keep us informed.