Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put double rollers on the back of my Karavan trailer since the hull was denting significantly in back from the single roller. The back and front are still denting a little from the single roller in front and double rollers in back.

Will this denting lead to long term hull damage? Or long term hull distortions?

Thanks, Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I read about the need for double rollers with the Getaway and made something else that works pretty well.

On each single roller I placed a 16" 2 X 6. It runs lengthwise under the skeg. Under the 2 X 6 I screwed 2 pieces of 1 X 2. They are perpendicular to the length of 2 X 6 and placed just in front of, and just behind the roller. They keep the 2 X 6 centered and from rolling forward or backward on the roller. On top of the 2 X 6, I screwed 2 pieces of 1 X 2. They are 16" long and run along each side of the 2 X 6. The skeg of the boat goes between these and they keep the 2 X 6 from sliding off the roller sideways. With the boat sitting on these "pads", the pad can't move forward, backward or sideways. I made four of these and carpeted them.

I roll the boat on the trailer. Then I lift up each corner of the boat and set these "pads" on the rollers. Now, instead of each corner of my boat resting on 1 or 2 square inches, which could cause dents in my hulls. I have each corner resting on 16 square inches. I trailer it with them on and let the boat sit with them on. I only take them off to roll the boat on and off the trailer. They lift on and lift off, no tools needed. They are simple, cheap and functional. You can make all 4 of them in 20 minutes at a total cost of less than $5. Your hulls will like them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't suppose you have pictures, or at least a diagram of the finished product, this sounds like the perfect solution for me, I picked up my getaway last week, and the trailer it came with only has single rollers on both the front and back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure how to post pictures. Send me an email and I'll email you some pictures of them on and off the trailer.

I'm at [email protected]

David