Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 40th Anniversary Regatta
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just out of curiosity, has anybody considered showing up in Dana Point on 4-5 October with their Getaway? We're thinking about coming over from Phoenix; if other Getaways will be there, it will make our decision that much more simple.

I bought this boat with the intention NOT to get roped into the racing scene; however, more than two of us showing up, a little creativity with the rules and it could become quite entertaining. What do you think?

Regards,
Steve Campbell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve,
Do you know how to find out the Getaway rating compared to other Hobies?
Tight lines,
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Bill!

No, I don't. I'm new to the sailing scene and have just started learning the ropes. Sorry for being little help.

The Commodore for Fleet 42 (open-class multihull) was explaining that during the Rocky Point Challenge in October I would probably be placed with some Waves; if we decide to actually race. I'm sure they won't pull ahead too far as the Getaway will have everyone's cold beverage in the ice chest. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If it fits in to my schedule I will definitely consider it.

If my kids were old enough to crew it would be an easier decision.

Post subject: Getaways at Doheny!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Guys and Gals!

We (the regatta committee) have some extra campsites that we reserved months ago before all the sites were booked. Let us know if you need some camping. There is also a discounted hotel at the harbor.

Our partners, Dana Point Yacht Club, Hobie Design and Dana Point Jet Ski going to have a great variety of activities around the harbor -

So Nerfrider - your kids are invited and welcome to come over to the family kayak event at Dana Point Yacht Club. They are hosting kids on the secluded beach and dock at the end of the harbor (away from the big boat traffic).

We have adult kayaks off-shore and launching near Dana Point Jet Ski. Hobie Design is organizing a paddle board and volleyball tournament. Details TBA.

There is a bicycle rental at the State Beach, or bring your own bikes. Everything between the harbor and campground is an easy bike ride (or healthy walk). Bikes will be easier than cars.

Oh, and one last thing - there will be a raffle for a Hobie paddle board and Hobie kayak as a fund raiser. You could get lucky!

I forwarded a link on to your posts to our Chair and Coordinator. They are working with the race committee and our partners and can probably provide you with several comfortable and fun options.

Feel free to contact me with ideas or questions.

Shauna Kinney
760-208-4663 (after 4 PM Pacific Time)
[email protected]

SKYPE shaunamcgee2000

Want to crew? Want to race? Under 150 lbs and athletic? No exp. required. Contact me!