Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can right our getaway by myself...but in high winds i can hardly control it myself....i fly a hull going straight downwind :lol: :lol: not quite...but sometimes it feels that way!

seems i can push it faster with my dad onboard....more weight to keep me from flipping over

Post subject: Power righter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I put one of these on my Getaway and it works great. Did not set it up exactly as shown with regards to using stop knots but it was a minor change. The parts and setup are first rate. I am a 200 pounder and the righting pole makes it easy. Only thing to do after getting back up is to restuff the lines and rebungee the pole.

Post subject: Righting
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Marc: Please, please tell me how you right it by yourself. I weigh 140 and have never come close to it. (Except, maybe the time I was eventually blown to a shore and walked the mast up onto a tree branch :x .) I have every self-righting gadget available except a righting pole. Nada. I'll be interested to hear about it even if I still can't do it. Thanx. Judi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I kind've rock it a bit....it helps if it wavy as well we normally sail in the bay/open ocean so there is usually chop to ge tthe sail off the water...

I lean way back at it'll slowly come up a bit and then i kind've have ot rock it up and down...if you time it perfectly its kind've like a swing set where each time you pull on the line it raises up a little more...they say to point the boat 45 degrees into the wind...this doesnt work for me...i have to go near perpendicular to the wind....also the only point at which i can swing the boat into the wind from is near the end of the mast...so i have to swim the boat around...then i use the forestay to quickly pull myself back to the boat

start my righting proceedure...then as it comes up i never ever let go of the boat as sometimes it seems like it wants to flip over onto the other side..then i just get back on...

make sure your sails are unsheeted as well!! or...well u know..

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Marc: Thank you! I will try that and let you know. I've never been able to swing the GetAway to the wind except by swimming the mast tip around. I thought I was just lame to the standard techniques. Much appreciated. --Judi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i remember my first time tipping it in the bay when i was by myself....a guy in a huge 40 ft center console came by and asked if i needed any help i said...I'm not sure..could you just hold on for a second while i try to right it.....he just took off.....

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Grrrrrr :x What a stinkpotter! Do you have to wear wet suits at all times in the Bay? I was there on my trimaran and needed all my Minnesota winter gear...in JULY!! I was docked in some marina and they wanted me to pay property taxes, so I left for San Diego. I came home 5 yrs later, sold my house and found I had a tax lien on it from SF. Grrrrrrr!!!!

Most all my rescuers on the lake have been good. It probably helps being female. But it is the luck of the draw. I've had some doozies, too.

I'm better at staying upright since I discovered the ratched on my mainsheet block. Now I can hang on to the sheet. I found I was cleating it for a rest because I couldn't literally hang on when the winds were brisk.

I haven't even been out yet this year. But I'm ready. Have fun. --judi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well when i go home from college (june 1st) the bay in Rhode Island will be about 60 degrees i think still wetsuit weather for me as I go to school in Savannah, GA annnd welll thats FREEZING to me now...however ill have the wetsuit off by the 3rd week in june i bet by then the bay will be 70 how long have you been sailing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What do I have to do with main and jib sheet during righting? On the video the main is pulled tight and there is no jib.
I would think with released main sheet and jib it would be less resistance from sails to water.
I am 6'1 and 200+ but now I don't have as much confidence to do it after what I read from your posts.
I plan to sail sometimes with my 7 year old son and I have to depend on myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

you should let the main and jib out...that way the boat cant take off when you right it......at 200lb you'll be fine by yourself....im 145lb and can do it by myself. you have to develope you own technique...

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Marc: I'm counting....I capsized on a gaff-rigged C scow a few days before I was born and later, when I was three, so that makes 60 yrs. :roll: My dad was a fanatic and I'm the 1st born and was captured young. Like my baby sister was 8 days old on her first overnight on dad's 18' one-off keel boat. I don't know how to stop. I've got a 22' keel boat, a Laser and the GetAway. A boat for every wind condition, eh? I cruised for 5 yrs on a Brown SeaRunner 37' Tri and have been home for 10 years, now. Yikes. :oops: Too much information? Thanks again for the rocking tip, etc. I hope I don't have to use it, but I probably will. Maybe I can rock it with a water bag. Or else I go back to the tree method. Have fun. Stay warm! -Judi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

haha I'm jealous...once i get out of college...pay off my debt...ill have multiple boats as well!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can see your future: You are doomed to a lifetime of sailing. Wha ha ha ha aha ha ha.... :twisted: -judi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A tip for those who say they need to swim the mast around: Once you're capsized, climb onto the hull and walk toward the bow. Your weight will lift the stern out of the water and the bow will become a pivot point, allowing the tramp "sail" to swing her around. Works like a charm (assuming there is some wind :-))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

doesnt work for the getaway...I dont weigh enough to push the bow down at all.....been there done that! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next