Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: and more questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

First, thanks for all the answers so far. We've put the advice on rudder cams, tacking, and motor mounts into action and are loving our Getaway.

1. The main sail was jamming as we raised it last weekend. I recall seeing a post on this topic, but couldn't find it again. Do I have to grease the upper plastic mast section's mail sail track? I leave the mast raised so I'd rather not lower it. But I can lower it if needed to fix this problem.

2. The jam cleat on the main sheet block is a concern to me. I'm afraid that I'll be hit by a gust and not be able to sheet out. Since I have the jam cleat on the main sheet closer to the end (not sure what that cleat is called), what's the purpose of the jam cleat on the block?

3. what are the little blocks on the jib sheet for?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1: Spray McLube on the bolt rope of the sail. Don't use grease or silicone... That just attracts dirt that will build up and make life more miserable.

2: The cleats are called Cam Cleats. And I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like you're trying to use the traveler cam to lock the mainsheet. That's no bueno. The cleat on the lower block is used for the sheet. The cleat on the crossbar is for the traveler control. Does that make sense?

3: The blocks attach to the sail so that you have 2:1 purchase on the jibsheets.

Brian C

Last edited by The Dog on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

1) Make sure you are facing directly into the wind while raising the main, otherwise it can be hard raise. Make sure your sheet is not attached and battens are not getting hung up on anything.

2) There is a small red 'switch' on the side of the block. Engaging this switch will cause the center pulley of the lower block to ratchet (only turn in one direction). If the wind is light, you want this to be disengaged. If it is windy, engage the switch and do not use the cam cleat. This will allow for a more controlled release should a gust hit. It does not appear that you have the main sheet properly routed. The sheet should travel through the mainsheet blocks, out to you for control, then back through the small cam cleat attached to the crossbar, through the traveler and secured back at the track bar. This allows for the main block to travel out during reaches and runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My old Getaway had a slight misalignment between the sail track in the aluminum extrusion and the track in the comp tip. This caused a pretty serious binding issue when raising the main, even though it didn't look that bad to the naked eye. Evidently the tolerances are pretty tight, which is fine, but there was nothing I could do about it other than lube it up with McLube and file a small bit off the edge of the aluminum to allow the bolt rope more leeway when navigating the transition.

Good luck,

Chris
~~(\_~~