Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
Our San Luis Yacht Club (Avila Beach CA) is purchasing 2 used Hobie Waves for use by club members and their friends. We'll be storing them under the pier our YC sits on in Avila during the sailing season. We need to figure out a way to securely store the mast, rudders, and sailing gear though and I'm hoping one or more of you would have some recommendations. I'm especially wondering about how to store the mast with the buoy attached to its top.

We could get a round tube big enough in diameter that the buoy would fit in it but I'm told that tubes that size can be really expensive. Any thoughts about other options? Also, what size storage unit would you recommend for the rudders and sailing gear. We plan to install a couple 2x6s across pier pilings and then bolt the storage bin(s) to it.

Full disclosure: My wife and I began our multihull careers on Hobie 16s in the early 80's and raced them quite a bit in NM/CO before getting into trimarans (F-24 MKI and F-31s). We now have a Weta trimaran and I'm an enthusiastic supporter of this Wave program for the club. I can think of no easier and better way to introduce other sailors and non-sailors to the fun of sailing than with a Hobie Wave.

Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
Try TRI Again

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Reid, it is hard to envision your situation but keep in mind the Wave mast comes apart and you have two sections, one 13ft and the other around 8ft. The shorter section has the float on it. That might give you more options. Also keep in mind the rolled up mainsail is about 7ft long and will need to be stored in a dry location.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mistro wrote:
Reid, it is hard to envision your situation but keep in mind the Wave mast comes apart and you have two sections, one 13ft and the other around 8ft. The shorter section has the float on it. That might give you more options. Also keep in mind the rolled up mainsail is about 7ft long and will need to be stored in a dry location.

Mi Mistro,
Yes, I know about the mast being in sections. Here's a pic of the area under the pier we'll be rolling the Waves into. And you can see a Wave in there although that may not be the exact location where it will end up.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just FYI: I have the newer style Ez-Loc rudders and I found that they store best when at one of the locked positions. I briefly tried having them 'straight' to fit in a narrow box and it seemed to quickly weaken the locking action - I guess that keeping the plastic housing pushed open was a bad idea.

I have stored my boat at a boat yard a few times and put a padlock through the hole in the mast tang, to attach a wire cable lock. Better than nothing.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

leecea wrote:
Just FYI: I have the newer style Ez-Loc rudders and I found that they store best when at one of the locked positions. I briefly tried having them 'straight' to fit in a narrow box and it seemed to quickly weaken the locking action - I guess that keeping the plastic housing pushed open was a bad idea.

I have stored my boat at a boat yard a few times and put a padlock through the hole in the mast tang, to attach a wire cable lock. Better than nothing.

Thanks for the heads up and suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just spent the weekend in Morro Bay, and spent most of Sunday enjoying Avila Beach. You've got a great place to sail!

I have a couple of thoughts.
* If you are storing the masts up under the pier, all you really need is a tube big enough to swallow the mast -- you could leave the Baby Bob float sticking out and loop a cable lock around a piling or crosspiece on the opposite end of the pipe.
* Simple cradles cut into your 2x6s (again with the cable locks) might do the trick, as well.

Sails and mainsheet assemblies are going to like being kept inside where they can dry out between uses ... rudders and other gear would store OK outside in a job-box or pickup cross-bed box that can be bolted to a piling well above the high-water line.

Just about anything that gets sailors into the hobby is a good thing!

Randii

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

randii wrote:
I just spent the weekend in Morro Bay, and spent most of Sunday enjoying Avila Beach. You've got a great place to sail!

I have a couple of thoughts.
* If you are storing the masts up under the pier, all you really need is a tube big enough to swallow the mast -- you could leave the Baby Bob float sticking out and loop a cable lock around a piling or crosspiece on the opposite end of the pipe.
* Simple cradles cut into your 2x6s (again with the cable locks) might do the trick, as well.

Sails and mainsheet assemblies are going to like being kept inside where they can dry out between uses ... rudders and other gear would store OK outside in a job-box or pickup cross-bed box that can be bolted to a piling well above the high-water line.

Just about anything that gets sailors into the hobby is a good thing!

Randii

Hi Randii,
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The picture you posted is not visible, so maybe I’m missing something, but why does the mast need to be stored inside a tube? Can’t it just be placed on the boat and strapped down? If you’re worried about it being stolen, chain it to the boat or pier with a pad lock through the mast tang.

sm