Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I thought I would share this tip for other beach trax/tiger trax users that have the Backrest.

For myself, I'm in a location where leaving my Wave down by the water isn't recommended as it is a public beach, and there are a lot of people around, but I'm about a 1/2 dozen houses away from the water down a paved road. So on a regular basis, I'm shuttling the Wave up and down the road to the beach. So using a beach trax/tiger trax to move my boat down to the water isn't that difficult, and we where already doing the walk with a wagon containing various beach items. But I quickly found that following the trax instructions and tying the trax to the shroud anchor made moving the boat very awkward and heavy as the trax where not under the balance point. So to make moving the wave around easier I added a second rope to the trax, and tied the trax to both anchor points for the backrest, centred on the balance point. This made moving the wave around very easy, and manageable.

I can then walk down the road easily, and can use the lowered mast ( with the upper section removed ) as a handle to guide the wave down the road. I also bungie the mast to the rear trampoline crossbar on a pool noodle to secure it.

So when you look at my trax, I have 2 ropes per side ( One original rope, and one additional ), and each rope is tied to the anchor point for the backrest, where they slide into the crossbar. One rope to the front anchor point, and one to the rear. I suppose that this approach may work on wave without a backrest, by just tying off to the crossbar's instead, but I haven't tried that. On the trax I tied the second rope to the axle loosely. It makes loading a bit more difficult, but the easier mobility more than makes up for it.

You can identify the balance point rather quickly as it is where the 2 buttons are on the side of the hulls.

Also to make the tying the trax on really quick, I marked the rope from the trax with the spot to tie it to the backrest anchor point, so that every time I loaded the wave onto the trax, the wheels would quickly centre without a lot of fooling around tying and untying the trax trying to get them centred.

I also took apart my trax to see if I could add a second rope, and it seemed it may be possible, but you would need a thiner rope then the factory one.

Hope this tip helps someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pull those two small plugs on the side and two 1/4-20 brass threaded inserts will be revealed, install a 1 1/2" fairlead and run the beachtrax line through the fairlead, tie it off on the backrest or sidestay. You will have the perfect balance point.