Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went out sailing today in 10mph (gusting 15mph) wind.
There were moderate height waves in my river, with quite a few whitecaps.
I had a lot of trouble tacking, failing more time than I succeeded.
When I turned into the tack, at speed, the boat lost forward momentum very rapidly and stalled.
The few times I was (eventually) successful, it was because I abruptly reversed the rudder direction and the boat turned in the desired direction while being blown backwards.
I have had 0 problems tacking in light winds.
Advice please?
Thanks. Mr. Lurker.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

With all of 9 months of Wave ownership and maybe 18 sailing days I have found that tacking requires pushing the tiller over in a smooth but somewhat slower method than I was used to with monohull boats. The Wave carves a rather large arc to windward as it progresses through the tack. I was use to my monohulls pivoting on a dime around the centerboard/keel. Sometimes I forget and put the tiller over to fast and blow the tack. Without the extra weight I was use to with the other boats, it loses momentum fast.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Sheet hard into the tack. Slow turn as noted above... release the main until well past the next tacking angle. Pull the main in slowly to get moving.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe you know this...

When you’ve done all the above but there’s still not enough momentum to complete the tack, grab the clew and manually and aggressively backwind the sail. It will force the bow through the turn.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmmm ....

First of all you need to be close hauled before you start your tack. As Matt says, when you're close hauled your mainsheet will be snug, borderline tight. You should have two pieces of magnetic tape taped to your bridles about 18 inches down from the forestay adjuster. (Half inch is best (VHS), Heavy Metal is reputed to be fastest. :lol: ) When you're going upwind the windward telltale should point down the back of the mast/sail.

Again as noted above push the tiller over gently at first. The boat is longish and skinny and doesn't have a pivot point (centreboard) in the middle.

Now this is the important part, which I guarantee you're not doing, keep the tiller over and the boat turning when you go across. If you allow the rudders to go straight the boat will stop turning and will end up in irons. Which is what you're experiencing. When the boat is head to wind ease the mainsheet. Four feet when you're learning, maybe only 8 inches when you're a great tacker. Keep the rudder over and the mainsheet eased until the boat is pointing in the right direction, the new upwind, with the (new) upwind telltale pointing down the back of the (other side now) of the sail. Sheet in! Success!

YMMV

Damn I do love this boat! It's not the bow it's the indian.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I prefer to gybe the Wave when I’m messing about. Haven’t raced it yet but it feels faster to gybe vs Tack every time. And it’s more fun because you can carry more speed through the maneuver ...imho

Sorry, I know that doesn’t really address your question.

Sailed in 30mph gusting to 45 today. Gotta love the spring squals! I was out for two and a half hours and didn’t tack once.

Last edited by mlambert on Sun May 19, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I’m so glad you’re enjoying yourself!

The Ottawa River is 20 feet above normal, it’s cold, it’s dangerous, and we’re not allowed to sail.

I could post a picture of my boat hulls upside down under the deck. :cry:

Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mlambert wrote:
I prefer to gybe the Wave when I’m messing about. Haven’t raced it yet but it feels faster to gybe vs Tack every time. And it’s more fun because you can carry more speed through the maneuver ...imho

Sorry, I know that doesn’t really address your question.

Sailed in 30mph gusting to 45 today. Gotta love the spring squals! I was out for two and a half hours and didn’t tack once.

I was in a race a few years ago, wind in the mid 20s gusting to high 20s had victimized a few Raiders, lol. The tacking was suck and I toyed with the idea of gybing instead but didn’t have the confidence I could make it out of the turn with the boat upright.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m also a fairly new sailer and wave owner coming from sea kayaking and I usually only take the wave out in winds above 15 mph so I needed to learn how to tack as opposed to gybing , I’m close hauled going in to the tack a fast as possible and turning quickly and pausing briefly in the center while switching sides and releasing the sheet at the exact point when the mast starts to turn and slowly releasing the tiller while sheeting in, once you get the timing down you’ll make most tacks easy, I think body weight timing while switching sides helps the hulls neutralize through the turn could be the trick. I could be wrong but it works for me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Learn to tack a Getaway and then a Wave seems a breeze!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Another (sometimes) helpful tactic is to look at the waves and look for a section of smoother water to tack in. Waves just kill the momentum.

Also agree with Matt, once into the tack, unsheet the main completely! And then when you are around to a good close-hauled angle on the opposite tack, your main may be bowed the wrong way due to the battens, at this point a firm tug on the main sheet can pop the sail the right way and get you going again. The one is important, invariably when I just leave the main sheeted in and in the jam cleat it will stall. Once I cross the wind and ensure the sail is loose, she will much more likely go far enough to tack successfully.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BillACK wrote:
Learn to tack a Getaway and then a Wave seems a breeze!

Really? My Getaway is a breeze to tack, I just backwind the jib.

When I had H17s (no jib, but centerboards), it took me a while to learn to tack. I agree with Matt and Big Whoop, sheet in tightly and tack well past your new course, but then I release the main as it passes through the eye of the wind-it the main is tight, it sometimes pulls you into irons. Also, if I'm sailing close hauled before the tack, I fall off and build up some speed before starting the tack.

Too many canoes and kayaks