Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Wave Restoration
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the forum, picked up a 99 Wave today to try and bring back from years of sitting unused and being neglected. It is a pretty cool boat as it came with the jib setup and also has the three piece tramp with track. I was able to get it home and cleaned up to assess the variety of problems and have a few questions as I make my parts lists:

1. The mast is cracked from freeze damage and has a slight bend in it, which is the biggest setback. I have been considering trying to weld it for now, but has anyone successfully swapped an H14 mast over the Wave? The comp tip is in good shape and definitely useable. Is a new lower mast extrusion even available from Hobie if I were to order one (not backordered)?

2. This boat has black rudders and one is cracked. What is the answer for a replacement as all I can find are white EZ Locks? Will other models fit from the used market?

3. The plastic caps under the seat foam have all come unglued resulting in water in the hull. What is the recommended sealant? I have 3m 4200 as well a G-Flex epoxy at my disposal. These caps don't have screws and fit very loosely in the holes. I see Hobie has a nicer cap with screws, but West Coast Sailing shows those on backorder with no eta.

4. The sail is missing a batten, can these be sourced from say a H14 or H16 or are they specific to the Wave?

5. The blocks are seized, any advice on replacements?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and this forum has already been a big help reading through the threads and learning about this boat!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks like I have a fair amount of my questions solved and many parts sourced. I visited a defunct Hobie dealer and found an NOS lower Wave mast sitting in the attic with years of dust on it, a lucky find and solves a lot of problems. They also had a decent selection of parts I needed like a batten, misc hardware, new lines, and more. I contacted Salt City Sailing and ordered a new tramp as well. Ben was very helpful and happened to have a good black rudder laying around he sold me in addition to the tramp. Those parts are on the way now and I am looking forward to their arrival.

I still need to seal up the deck covers under the seats, but have realized the jib cam locks are located pretty far forward on the tramp track, like almost to the end of the track. Is this going to create problems? The instructions show the cam locks in the middle of the track. I would hate to seal up those access ports only to find I need to move the cams. The jib itself has no hanks on it either, is that normal for the factory jib?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lots of progress to report and have splashed the boat, what a blast to sail!

Installed new rear hatch covers, sealed the access ports with Sika Flex, replaced rudder cam locks and adjusted rudder tension, relocated the jib cleats to where they are supposed to be, rigged mast with new shrouds and halyard from Salty Dog Marine, and laced the new tramp up from Salt City Sailing. Still have some finishing touches to do, but happy so far.

Couple questions:

I have the front bridles hooked to the hulls with a standard stamped shackle, but it seems to be side loading the shackle slightly due to the angle. Any suggestions to prevent this besides hooking directly the bow eyelet?

Is there a gauge or rule of thumb for shroud tightness? I feel I have them too loose, but I would need to really crank on the halyard/mast to go down to the next hole. Also, any tricks on swapping over the rubber shroud covers? I can't get seem to get them free from the old shrouds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks good! I am about to undertake a similar project. I hope my results turn out as well as yours! I can drag it out a good 8 months though, since the seasons are against me.