Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dry Dock for a Wave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We live on a lake. We have a dock but I would like to try to dry dock the Wave. I was thinking of a rubber floating dock with a winch. I would attach the floating dock to my secure wood dock. My neighbor uses something like this for a Jet Ski.

Has anyone seen or heard of something like this arrangement?

Thank you

Will

Post subject: Re: Dry Dock for a Wave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:57 pm 
SLS - Hobie Catamaran Production and Sales

This has been done a few times at least. A good call to dry dock the Wave as you don't want to leave it in the water:

(On a fiberglass boat, the gelcoat will absorb water and pit / crack. The rig slaps around and every moving part gets jostled and worn rapidly.)

The best is to make a float (dock section) you can pull it up on as you suggest. You can use lengths of PVC or even a carpet on the dock to pull up on a bit. Maybe a post with a line to haul it out. Or use a winch.

Store the boat with the mast down. See more on storage (including for colder temperatures - not sure where you're located) below:

Winter Storage/Winterize - People living in freezing areas or areas prone to high wind damage should use common sense regarding winter or long term storage. Lower the mast, remove trampolines, lines and properly cover your boat to reduce UV, dirt and debris wear / damage to your hull and metal surfaces. All sails, trampolines, lines etc. should be removed and stored in a dry indoor location.

Mast up storage - is never recommended. High winds and constant motion of the rig can and will cause excessive wear and damage to the mast, rigging and hull components.

Freezing - of water trapped inside you boat can be quite damaging. Water expands with considerable force when it freezes. Just as pipes burst when left to freeze, water trapped in confined spaces can burst the structure of your boat. Mast receivers, wing tubes, masts, hulls etc. should all be carefully inspected and drained of any water prior to the first freeze of the winter. Boats should be stored, covered or prepared in such a way as to prohibit water or snow from collecting on or in the boat.

Specific warning about water collection for Hobie Wave masts
The two piece design of the Hobie Wave mast allows for some water collection at the mast to CompTip joint. Water left in this location on masts left upright during freezing conditions has been known to fail the lower mast sealing plug. This allows water to drain into the lower mast over time which when freezing causes the mast to expand and fail near the bottom of the mast.

Snow - The weight of snow collecting on top of a boat can be considerable. Boats should be stored in such a way as to limit the collection and damaging weight of large amounts of snow. Failure to keep snow weight off can cause damage or deformation of the keels at their contact points on a trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello

Thank you so much. The mast down tip is a good one. I will get to work on this. The Wave is professionally stored in the off season in an indoor facility.

Regards

Will

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't see why a jet ski type floating dock wouldn't work. If your water depth is shallow you can use a boat lift. I have mine on a old cantilever style with 2x6's that go across the beams. I see these types of lifts for sale all the time for next to nothing. I do secure the lift to the bottom of the lake and also have the front beam of the boat tied to the lift so it doesn't blow over in a storm.