Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave will fly a hull!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just back from a 90 minute single-handed sail on Lake Whatcom. Gusty, 15-25 knots. Flew a hull on a reach. I sustained it for say 20 seconds but ran out of wind. Dang, this boat is very controllable, very well behaved. One hull dive, stopped the boat. It would be nice to see those anti dive planes like for the H16 that we could install. As others have stated in these posts the Wave lights up when there is some wind about. My thanks to the designer, a very well thought out simple pleasure cat. Me: 210 lbs , ( oh and very good looking.... Heh heh), intermediate sailor. If you are contemplating a wave and want a simple to rig boat, then this is it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yup! It is a bast, isn't it?

You may want to check out the recent thread on this subject, if you have not already.

One thing I did which helps minimize bow diving you speak of, is to rake the mast. I replaced the stock 7 hole forestay adjuster w/ a ten hole. I have the forestay in the 9th hole, at the top, sidestays are maxed out down to the bottom hole of the side adjusters.
Rake seems plenty. The hulls rarely if ever dive now, but send up an impressive spray! Fun fun fun!

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I tried raking the mast back and found coming around in a tack under light wind to be a chore...she just wanted to point into the wind and not follow through. I'd get stuck "in irons" and have to either paddle past twelve o'clock or drift backwards with the rudders tured opposite.

Wannahobie...you don't have this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

zzcoreyzz wrote:
I tried raking the mast back and found coming around in a tack under light wind to be a chore...she just wanted to point into the wind and not follow through. I'd get stuck "in irons" and have to either paddle past twelve o'clock or drift backwards with the rudders tured opposite.

Wannahobie...you don't have this problem?
That is a drawback to raking the mast. My trick is to make the tack smooth and quick, not pinch for too long (loose momemtum), and stay on the (soon to be lee) windward side as ling as possible, only scurrying to new windward side when established on new tack. This alone has pretty much eliminated this problem, as long as I stay on top of it. Sometime I still blow a tack, but only when not paying attention.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh, yeah, you're in Maine, on a big lake.

In a busy harbor on my way out to sea, I often have to pause, stall or turn suddenly as some numbnuts in an electric rental boat plows into my heading. These guys don't know nor care about maritime protocol.

Then, the slightest stall will lock me when my sail is raked.

I've settled for an upright mast and scamper to the stern of the boat. So far so good, no pictch poling or bow digging. Of course, the ocean's waves keep me hopping, so even if I start to plow, the waves knock me free.

And the rental boat geeks don't trouble me anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

zzcoreyzz wrote:
Oh, yeah, you're in Maine, on a big lake.

In a busy harbor on my way out to sea, I often have to pause, stall or turn suddenly as some numbnuts in an electric rental boat plows into my heading. These guys don't know nor care about maritime protocol.

Then, the slightest stall will lock me when my sail is raked.

I've settled for an upright mast and scamper to the stern of the boat. So far so good, no pictch poling or bow digging. Of course, the ocean's waves keep me hopping, so even if I start to plow, the waves knock me free.

And the rental boat geeks don't trouble me anymore.
Yea, I hear ya. Actually, I sail on a little lake, about 1 mile long. Winds prevail down the length of lake, so consequently I do a ton of tacking. But rarely any other boat traffic or currents, channels to contend with.

2007 Hobie Wave