Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: boom vang?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know the Wave does not have a boom. This is merely a "what if" idea...

Lets say you didnt want to or could not order the traveler kit (for classic version owners) and wanted more performance, could you take the sail to a sailmaker and have them sew in some supports and add a grommet for a "boom vang"? You would then run a line from this new grommet hole and tension it to the mast for a ghetto boom vang - it should keep the sail from rising when sailing off the wind.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: boom vang?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

scuzzlebutt wrote:
I know the Wave does not have a boom. This is merely a "what if" idea...

Lets say you didnt want to or could not order the traveler kit (for classic version owners) and wanted more performance, could you take the sail to a sailmaker and have them sew in some supports and add a grommet for a "boom vang"? You would then run a line from this new grommet hole and tension it to the mast for a ghetto boom vang - it should keep the sail from rising when sailing off the wind.

What do you think?
Well, first of all, having a SE or classic Wave should not stop you from installing a traveller kit, see this thread(click here), but for whatever reason you don't want to do this, maybe you could find an old H14 boom and gooseneck (it should fit, as the Wave uses the same mast extrusion) and modify it if need be. Then you would mount the boom vang to the the boom back to a loop installed on the lower end of the mast. I don't think you would need to modify the sail. The sail would just behave like a loose footed main.

I don't think just having a grommet installed and mounting a vang to it will have the desired effect. In fact, it could damage the sail.

Interesting idea though.

2007 Hobie Wave