Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just finished my first sailing season with a 1973 12' hobie mono-cat. I haven't had this much fun on the water in quite a while. Sold the mono-cat and I am ready to move up. All my sailing will be done on the southern end of Lake Michigan Between Gary Ind. and Hew Buffalo. Looking at a Wave or Hobie 14 because of mooring space limitations. My sailing partner(my wife) will only go out if it is less than 10mph winds and relatively calm. I had the mono-cat out solo in 15mph+ and was smiling the whole time. I guess the questions are 1) can a 14 be "cruised" in lighter winds like a Wave with two adults on it (325lbs) 2) Which is the Dryer boat under moderate conditions, 3) which boat is easier to handle under higher winds say 18 to 20mph. Lastly if INDYWAVE reads this I understand you guys have quite the fleet of Waves down there. Wondering if you know of anyone that is planning on selling a used one in the near future. Please contact me through my e-mail gwatrobka@yahoo .com or post on the forum all comments would be appreciated
oldgy54

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey oldguy, I hope 54 doesn't make you old, cause I'm right behind you.

I've never sailed a 14, so I'll have to let someone else help with that comparison. I understand the 14 is pretty much intended to be a solo boat. The Wave handles 2, 3 or even 4 just fine; it just goes a bit slower with more weight on board. I'm guessing the Wave would be "easier" to sail in higher winds, although the 14 would be faster. The Wave is very stable with two or more on board, even in high winds.

As for used boats, Skip in Noblesville has built up quite a fleet himself (7 I think now), but he's been buying not selling them. There was a used one posted at my club, but it was sold to someone in Canada before I even saw the ad. So used ones are rare and go very quickly. Be prepared to travel if you want used, or bite the bullet and buy new. I bought mine from Wawasee Boat Company, or Sailboats Inc in Indy is a dealer now.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It just so happens I owned a 14T about 19 years ago. BTW, Indy has it pretty much right on.

oldguy54 wrote:
.. 1) can a 14 be "cruised" in lighter winds like a Wave with two adults on it (325lbs)
Sure. I have been out many times with a friend. In light to moderate winds that is.

oldguy54 wrote:
.. 2) Which is the Dryer boat under moderate conditions
Most 14's have a solid vinyl tramp,meaning a little dryer, while most Waves have a mesh tramp. Both will give you a little spray. The 14 will be much more willing to invite you for for a swim though. So I would say the Wave is dryer.

oldguy54 wrote:
..3) which boat is easier to handle under higher winds say 18 to 20mph.
Hands dow, the Wave wins here. A little less sail plan, more flotation means a more forgiving boat.

The Wave is defintely more roomy, more comfortable, and can actually handle 4 people aboard, while the 14 is maxed out at about 2 (400lbs)

Other considerations? Used Waves are dificult to come by used, and pricy when you do find them. Used 14s can be pretty cheap.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject: Wave vs 14
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the opinoins Indywave & Wannahobie. Looks like a new Wave is the best option as as you guys said, used are hard to come by. Have a line on a new 08 that might be still available or will wait till the Chicago Strictly Sail show to see if there will be any "specials " on the 09s. I just have to convince the wife that Waves make great stocking-stuffers.