Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave Class Weight
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just read the HCA rules for the Wave class, and noticed the minimum boat weight is listed as 251 lbs, but the Hobie product specification lists the Wave as 245 lbs.

Does this mean a stock boat needs to carry 6 lbs of extra weight?

I know this is only an issue for racing in IHCA events, and most boats will pick up weight by absorbing moisture anyway, but I was curious about the discrepancy. Is the 251 based on "typical" measurements, whereas the 245 is based on marketing?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmm, and I just read the IWCA rules and they list no minimum weight for the boat or crew. At HCANA points regattas, boats are not typically weighed, unless it's a NAC (North American Championship) event.

This is curious however, I wonder where the descrepancy came from? May be the boat weight has dropped since 1994? Certainly paid members of HCA can petition a vote to change the rule, but if in fact older boats are heavier this may not be a direction for Wave racers to go (you wouldn't want to alienate those with older boats). The difference is less than 3% and with a 120 pound minimum crew weight, I don't think it will be significant.

I say get out there and keep racing, build the fleet/s, would be very cool to have a Wave fleet so competitive that issues like this were forefront!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BTW, if you race any One Design boat in a handicap event you "should" make sure your boat meets your class rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the HCA rules are old, the weight discrepancy is probably a result of the rudder/tiller change a few years ago. The new "Easy-lock" rudders are thinner, the castings are plastic and the tiller arms are shorter. I could see those weighing 3 lbs less on each side. Plus the original Waves had access ports on the back decks, which may have added a few ounces.

As you said, it's doubtful that's enough to make any difference, and I don't think even the most serious Wave racer is going to quibble over it. I think we're all just in it for the fun, and I guarantee no boat will get turned away!

Patrick Green is winning most of the regattas with his old "Classic" model Wave. Proof that it's mostly the sailor, not the boat.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"