Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Wave?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going to purchase a Wave but am not sure on which model?

The Wave would remain at one location with no need to take it apart. My question is what are the major differences? Is one version better suited for certain sailing conditions?

The web site states the tramps are different and the Club version has inspection ports. Is there anything else I should consider in making the final purchase? Is the jib option a major advantage? If I find a used Wave, are there certain years to shy away from?

It's 20 degrees here in the Northeast. I'm looking forward to Spring and a new toy......I mean Wave.

Thanks for your assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you need to car-top your boat to transport it, the Club model will be your better bet. The lace-up tramp can be pulled tighter, which makes for a more comfortable ride, and easier to move around on. But even if you do decide to haul your boat, you can get (or make) a trailer which doesn't require you to break it down.

I should mention that neither model has the inspection ports anymore, but the Classic-SE has cup holders built into the tramp. (I'm not sure why the Club doesn't!)

The jib option has been discussed on this forum quite a bit; and while some people like it, I think the general concensus is that it doesn't add much in terms of performance, and actually hurts your pointing ability. The traveller option does seem to add to the performance by giving better control of your sail shape.

As for differences in years, they're all good! Later models have "Easy-Lock" rudders; while earlier models have more traditional Hobie rudders with longer tiller arms. The earliest models did have inspection ports.

The boats are pretty indestructible, but go over a used boat carefully for hull damage, because they're tough to repair if you do manage to hurt it.

Welcome to the Wave-lovers club! I think you'll have a great time with it, regardless of your selection.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep forgetting which is which, but the Club does have the tramp with better tightening and more other options, as says Indy.

There's one that looks nice in NY on Craiglist here: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/947118015.html

Must have the kick-up rudders, although seller isn't specific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a "Classic" car-toppable model and I do car top every weekend so it was definately the right choice for me. Plus, I built a rack in my garage to hang it all on and still have tons of room for (2) cars. The boat stays out of the weather and out of the way. Two huge pluses.

That being said, however, if I was not going to haul the boat much, I would have opted for the CLUB version. I like the tramp way better on the CLUB version.

Say it SOFT and it's almost like praying.....
I just sailed my WAVE out the Marina !"
West Coast Story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased my second Wave which is a 2006 classic model. Previously, I'd had a 2001 club model.

Already, even before I've sailed it, I'm considering upgrading the classic tramp to the club tramp.

The 2006 version has tracks on the hulls, just like my club Wave instead of the old trampoline anchor hooks.

So, for this reason, it appears that I can upgrade to the club trampoline.

Is this correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MARCOBOWOW wrote:
I recently purchased my second Wave which is a 2006 classic model. Previously, I'd had a 2001 club model.

Already, even before I've sailed it, I'm considering upgrading the classic tramp to the club tramp.

The 2006 version has tracks on the hulls, just like my club Wave instead of the old trampoline anchor hooks.

So, for this reason, it appears that I can upgrade to the club trampoline.

Is this correct?
Yes, the hulls/tracks are identical. Last year I had a hull replaced due to a warranty issue. The replacement was boxed, and labled 'club'. Look at the catalog also. One part number. They all come with the club tramp tracks. The slide hooks and few pieces of hardware are added to enable adding the SE tramp. By the same token you could take a club and covert it too an SE.

Believe it or not, the club tramp is much cheaper. You could sell your old SE tramp with all the hardware, cables, etc, right on this forum or ebay. I am sure there are people out there w/ older Waves w/ the fixed hooks (no tracks) in need of replacement tramps.

Personally, I don't mind the SE setup. I like the cup holders :wink:. I devised a different system which eliminated the velcro straps, which was my biggest pet pieve w/ the standard tramp setup. The latter enabled the ability to add the traveller kit. The backrest pins also contribute to keeping the whole rig solid (which can be added even if you don't have or want backrests).

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wannahobie, thank you for replying.

Cup holders on a catamaran. For some reason, I just don't see that catching on. I've seen your inventions on this site and the Getaway configuration for the Wave was pretty brilliant.

It would be nice if Hobie would consider making the rear crossbar just like the one on the Getaway, maybe as an option. Especially since the traveler is a legal upgrade.

But back to the SE tramp. I've read that most people prefer the Club tramp for comfort and support. Even with your re-configuration of the tramp, doesn't it still sag? Has there been a lessening of sagging since you drilled a lot of holes in your rear crossbar?

It seems like a few advantages of the SE tramp other than the cup holders is that you have a smooth center if someone wants to lie down. You don't have to worry about extra spray coming though that slot in the middle. The tramp is easier to clean and doesn't collect leaves in the lacing, and the boat is easier to take apart, if you had to.

My old club tramp didn't sag though. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MARCOBOWOW wrote:
...Cup holders on a catamaran. For some reason, I just don't see that catching on.
:) believe it or not, I actually use those things!

MARCOBOWOW wrote:
...It would be nice if Hobie would consider making the rear crossbar just like the one on the Getaway, maybe as an option.
I agree. Maybe they should offer kit to convert to GET style lacing. Those velcro straps area PITA.

MARCOBOWOW wrote:
...Especially since the traveler is a legal upgrade.
I am not so sure about that. The traveller may NOT be legal for racing in certain classes. For me, it does not matter. The traveller is a worthwhile upgrade.

MARCOBOWOW wrote:
...I've read that most people prefer the Club tramp for comfort and support.
I really don't have any experience
with the club tramp. But from what I have read, if/when I need to replace mine, I will likely replace it w/ a club version. It would seem to make a tighter rig.

MARCOBOWOW wrote:
...Even with your re-configuration of the tramp, doesn't it still sag?
Well, if I have passenger's on it, it will sag some. W/ no one on it, just my feet, it does not appear to sag too bad. I really don' notice the sag when scrambling across it when tacking. perhaps I am just accustomed to the way it is. It probably sags a little less now, since the shock cord keeps tension on it from the rear, where the velcro can be tightened, but then seems to slip as weight is applied.

MARCOBOWOW wrote:
...Has there been a lessening of sagging since you drilled a lot of holes in your rear crossbar?
As for eight little 3/16" holes for the lacing post rivets, I don't think they cause any weakening of the xbar if that is what you mean. That thing is pretty rugged.

MARCOBOWOW wrote:
...It seems like a few advantages of the SE tramp other than the cup holders is that you have a smooth center if someone wants to lie down. You don't have to worry about extra spray coming though that slot in the middle. The tramp is easier to clean and doesn't collect leaves in the lacing, and the boat is easier to take apart, if you had to.
I would agree with all that. Also, is the option to easily take the boat apart for storage/transport. If you trailer as I do, the latter point is moot.

Sounds like you want to upgrade either way. Put a feeler in the for sale section for your 2 y/o tramp and hardware. You may get a few bucks to offset the cost of a new club tramp and lacing.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Wannahobie.

I'm not sure what I want to do about my tramp. I think I might try it out first, I may be just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a wave SE last year and sail it on lake erie out of Buffalo near sunset bay. mine is the SE tramp with the cup holders. The cup holders are a great idea, but if you sail lake erie you always have waves and your open cans are continuallly deluged by upspray if not knocked out! The tramp does sag a bit, but I usually hike up on the hulls when sailing. Comfortable to lay on though. It's a great performer in a bit of wind though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We sail in Charleston, and it can get pretty rough both in the harbor and outside, so I'm not sure how handy the cup holders will be except maybe to hold bottles of water.

I gonna see if I can live with the SE tramp, if not, I'll get the club tramp.